Papercut by Calix - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Fan Creations

Fan Creations Show off your fan art or fan fiction here! Only hand drawn work may be posted!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Pink Genocide
Academy Student

Pink Genocide is an unknown quantity at this point
Papercut by Calix

Eh, so I was bored yesterday and watching TV when my little sister runs over to me complaining of a papercut. At the same time, she was holding my sketchbook with a picture of FMA that I drew, so I got an idea. Hope you like it...even though it's a little angsty. xD I love angst. Makes the world go round.

Papercut

“It’s going to rain...”

Obsidian eyes snapped open, and Roy Mustang suddenly found himself staring down the barrel of a shotgun. A loaded shotgun. A loaded shotgun in the hands of a top military sharpshooter.

Crap.

The safety clicked off, loud enough for Roy’s hand to dart for the pen he’d dropped after he’d fallen asleep on his desk. Lieutenant Hawkeye sighed softly, and slipped her gun back into its holster.

“Sir, are you alright?” She asked carefully, regarding Roy with an almost sympathetic stare. Roy grunted lowly and turned away from her gaze to sign a forgotten referral form in front of him with the barest hint of interest.

It had been a year. A whole year since Hughes’ death. Roy had heard of anniversaries before, of course, but he usually related the term with happy occasions like weddings and adolescent relationships. However, today was the anniversary of Hughes’ murder. The word ‘anniversary’ no longer brought a smile to Roy’s face, no matter what the size. The thought of Hughes’s voice made his stomach clench and his writing falter on the paper. He could hear Hawkeye inquiring about his well-being once more, but her voice sounded far off and distant.

He was snapped back to reality when he felt his pen being gently pulled out of his hands.

“Sir, wouldn’t it be better for you if you just went home for today? You haven’t been looking too well.” Hawkeye said suggestively. Roy shook his head, waving off her request and accepting his pen back.

“No, I’ll be fine, thanks.” Roy said in a dismissive manner, signing another paper. “I’m just a little tired. I worked late yesterday.”

“That was because you fell asleep yesterday.” Hawkeye pointed out, “Sir, I understand what day it is. If you feel that you have to go home...” She trailed off at the sight of Roy’s defiant stare. It was looking into the eyes of an aggressive Doberman. Staring too hard would lead to an attack by the animal. “...just tell me.” Hawkeye finished softly. In an uncharacteristic form of affection, she reached out and squeezed Roy’s hand before turning on her heel and leaving the room.

As the door shut, Roy let out the breath he’d been holding in, and his expression relaxed into its originally morose form. Yes, it was the anniversary of Hughes’ death, and everyone in HQ knew it. The most telltale sign of the whole situation was the continuous sound of Fuery’s crying coming from the Sergeant’s work desk on the other side of the room. Every once in a while, the soft sniffling would escalate into full-blown sobs, and while Havoc or Breda snatched out a tissue to shove into the young Sergeant’s hands, or Falman would pat his shoulder and whisper some useless encyclopedic knowledge to him, Roy would simply shove his fingers into his ear canals and re-read the same sentence on a document over until he felt deaf. Most of the day had been spent in this manner, until Roy had finally gotten so tired of it all, he’d fallen asleep.

“Dammit.” Roy cursed foully when he felt the flesh of his index finger slide brutally over the edge of a particularly boring document. He snatched his finger back immediately to inspect the damage. The cut was thin, as if it were cut by the edge of a knife.

Knife.

Roy remembered the hand knife that was found at the scene of Hughes’ murder. The small peice of metal was lying only a few inches away from cold fingers, already soaked with blood. Roy had recieved pictures of it in the case file he’d been given only a few days after. The sight of his friend’s favorite weapon, lying uselessly next to its owner...Roy had ran out of his office after reading the file, and threw-up for what felt like hours in the mens’ bathroom.

A crude, and somewhat masochistic side of Roy chuckled as he stared at the simple wound. It was as if Hughes’ was there telling him to get on with his work for the sake of the life he’d left behind. The cut was a distraction from his melancholy state, encouraging him to go on with his life. Hughes had done as much as he could when he was alive, and Roy had to be the one to finish what his best friend had begun.

“Hughes, you conniving idiot.” Roy said so quietly that not even Falman heard him, the grey-haired man bending over Fuery to correct a spelling mistake on a form he was filling out.

“Who’s conniving?”

Roy looked up as something small and beige was waved in front of his face. Eyes focusing in, he wrinkled his nose at the sight of a band-aid. “What’s this?” He asked. Havoc grinned widely, his goofy charm already lightening Roy’s mood in the way only the nicotine-addicted man could do.

“It’s a simple device that has the power...” Havoc grabbed Roy’s hand and ripped open the band-aid, wrapping it around the wounded finger with lazy expertise, “...to make everything better. I call it,” He waved his fingers around Roy’s fixed-up finger with the dazzlement of a showhost, “a band-aid. Free of charge.”

Roy smiled dryly and picked up his pen again to continue scribbling down signatures on another form. “Thanks, Havoc.”

“No problem. Think of it as a gift from Hughes.” Havoc said, his goofy smile melting into a meaningful one. Roy looked up at him, and then down at his finger. Wrapped in the adhesive gauze with the barest hint of blood at the edge, Roy realized that he’d been wrong about the papercut.

The papercut wasn’t the distraction he needed, it was the band-aid. A year ago when Hughes was murdered, Roy had gotten an emotional papercut. All he needed, though, was a band-aid to make it better. A simple distraction to keep him going.

“You’re brilliant, Havoc.” Roy said gratefully as his subordinate began to walk away from his desk. Havoc waved his fingers in the air in a crude form of a wave.

“Tell me something I don’t know, sir.”

Roy set to work again, determined to finish everything , for once in his life, before he went home. Now fueled by his will to move on and the pressure of the band-aid on his still-throbbing cut, he felt unstoppable.

And he didn’t even plug his ears when Fuery burst into tears again.

((Eh. I did mah best. :>))

Old 07-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts
Re: Papercut by Calix

The whole papercut thing is a little weird, I admit-- But I like it. The pace of this story is fast, making this story quick but not short. Aside from what I think was one or two spelling errors and I think no grammatical errors; Your writing skills are awesome.
I liked this story very much, and would like to read more. Besides, we hardly get any FMA fanfics in here =D

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
Pink Genocide
Academy Student

Pink Genocide is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Papercut by Calix

This story was more of a creative spew of absolute bull. ^_^ I can write better than this, but this was more spur-of-the-moment.