Huge X360 pricecuts - Page 3 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Gaming

Gaming Talk about your favorite video and pc games and console in this section!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #31
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold
Re: Huge X360 pricecuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnticitizenOne View Post
Honestly, saying you played "Every game worth mentioning on the Wii." isn't valid at all. Every game you thought might be good. And what're you talking about Galaxy? It had more levels than Sunshine, a lot of replay value since the thing is just simple, easy fun in general, they added things like the reverse gravity, star bits, spin attack, jumping between planets, and all kinds of other stuff. Sure it was faithful to the original gameplay formula, but if you deviate too much you have a ton of fans bitching and moaning. Three franchises on NES did this: Zelda, Mario, and Castlevania. All three sequels in these cases were extremely underrated, just because they weren't faithful to the original game.
So, okay, it's fine for Nintendo games to keep the base formula and just update graphics, but it's totally sinful for Bungie to keep the same game elements throughout the series? Don't look now but your bias is showing.

Unlike Nintendo, Bungie actually adds new elements to their game. (I admit, Mario Sunshine was a refresher. Why can't all Nintendo games innovate like that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
I wouldn't say it deserves all the overratedness and hype it gets. The films, forge, and theater are nothing really new. Other FPSs in the past had a map making feature to them, and recording in general is something people usually do on their own. Honestly, the gameplay formula was done better in other places. Think back to Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark for the N64. Both vastly superior shooters.
Both games are seriously, brokenly outdated by Halo 3 and like shooters. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were decent games back in the day, but you cannot hope to think they're anywhere close to Halo's level. Halo does everything Goldeneye did, but with better graphics, better gameplay, more options, and a more faithful fanbase. Anyone who argues otherwise just doesn't like Halo by principle.

Halo got its acclaim by being the first successful console FPS by introducing revolutionary controls and game methods that filtered into every single shooter afterwards.

Halo was the first to introduce the dual stick setup, and I believe it (don't quote me on it) was also the first to have renewable health.

Its multiplayer is also considered one of the most skill-based, balanced out of all shooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
That still doesn't change the fact that you spend two weeks or so without a console because they shipped you a faulty system.
But if you get a faulty PS3, you're just shit outta luck, huh? I won't deny MS screwed up with the hardware, but at least they're making good on their mistake. You can't use faulty 360s against them anymore, because they've essentially rectified it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
PS3 also has good exclusives: Metal Gear Solid 4, God of... Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Haze, and a few others.
Lol @ bolded.

Last edited by Trey; 08-24-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #32
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
PS3 also has good exclusives: Metal Gear Solid 4, God of... Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Haze, and a few others. There are also games that are done also on the PS3, and sometimes they're actually done better.
I'm no PS3 basher, but you could have chosen better examples than Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Haze. They were all, um, shit.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #33
AnticitizenOne
The One Free Man

AnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
So, okay, it's fine for Nintendo games to keep the base formula and just update graphics, but it's totally sinful for Bungie to keep the same game elements throughout the series? Don't look now but your bias is showing.

Unlike Nintendo, Bungie actually adds new elements to their game. (I admit, Mario Sunshine was a refresher. Why can't all Nintendo games innovate like that?)
What did I say about Mario Galaxy? A lot of innovating happened there. Besides, honestly Halo 2 ruined it in my opinion. The gameplay was a bit different that time around and they added the online multiplayer, but the singleplayer seemed to be incredibly short with a very bad plot. Halo 3 was a big step up, but honestly there were no true breakthroughs between 2 and 3. Actually, I still think the first halo was the best. It seemed like with the next few games, they just kinda sloppily glued things onto a formula that already worked. If some of the elements were implemented better, like Dual Wielding which is outclassed in every way by pure battle rifle spammage. That's another thing I wanted to address, all those bugs that are in the game, whether intentional or not they're incredibly cheap. You have to have heard of BXR, Dual Shotting, Quad Shotting, all that BS that was in Halo 2 and pretty much broke the multiplayer for anyone that wasn't willing to practice constantly with them. But I think most people would admit that Halo 2 is by far the weakest in teh series.

Quote:
Both games are seriously, brokenly outdated by Halo 3 and like shooters. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were decent games back in the day, but you cannot hope to think they're anywhere close to Halo's level. Halo does everything Goldeneye did, but with better graphics, better gameplay, more options, and a more faithful fanbase. Anyone who argues otherwise just doesn't like Halo by principle.
Better gameplay? I think not. Meh, maybe I'm a retro junkie, but I still believe that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to this day are more fun to play in general. And to say "anyone who argued this way is like this" is usually incorrect. I also don't put much in store with graphics either. Just the fun that I had with some of the sequences in Goldeneye 007 and the multiplayer can't be matched, and no it has nothing to do with the nostalgia factor.

Quote:
Halo got its acclaim by being the first successful console FPS by introducing revolutionary controls and game methods that filtered into every single shooter afterwards.

Halo was the first to introduce the dual stick setup, and I believe it (don't quote me on it) was also the first to have renewable health.

Its multiplayer is also considered one of the most skill-based, balanced out of all shooters.
I'm fairly sure there were more games with renewable health before Halo. That's another thing they messed with. The two sequels should have had shields with health meters too. Would have added more challenge to the gameplay having to keep your health relatively high and not get hit too much after you've dropped your shield. One more thing that pisses me off about Halo's gameplay is the Legendary difficulty. They basically take the game and break it, giving you enemies that take a ton of fire or a cheap combination *coughNoobCombocough* to kill, and who kill you in only a few shots. Don't even get me started on those Jackal Snipers in Halo 2 that kill you in one hit. They turn the whole game into a memorization fest.

Quote:
But if you get a faulty PS3, you're just shit outta luck, huh? I won't deny MS screwed up with the hardware, but at least they're making good on their mistake. You can't use faulty 360s against them anymore, because they've essentially rectified it.
Once ALL reports of red rings have completely ceased, and people don't have to listen to that god damned Microsoft Tech Support, then I'll say they've rectified it. You can't tell me that having your Xbox screw up on you, calling Microsoft and having them tell you it's your fault, and then waiting two weeks for it to come back, knowing full well it was a matter of time before it screwed up again and you'd have to repeat the process, would not piss you off.

Quote:
Lol @ bolded.
Hey, I liked Haze! I meant it as a joke when I put Heavenly Sword there though. The thing is basically God of War with improved graphics and about two or three hours of gameplay trimmed off. You also play as a "hawt chick with teh bewbz!!!" And @Jaxon, I loved Uncharted even though it could have been a bit longer.

Last edited by AnticitizenOne; 08-24-2008 at 07:26 PM.
AnticitizenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #34
Kites
I Love Donuts

Kites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to beholdKites is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Better gameplay? I think not. Meh, maybe I'm a retro junkie, but I still believe that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to this day are more fun to play in general.
I stopped reading after that.
Get 'em, Trey.
Kites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #35
JBoogie
Raw

JBoogie is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
I'm no PS3 basher, but you could have chosen better examples than Heavenly Sword, Uncharted and Haze. They were all, um, shit.
WHAT! Uncharted is one of the best games this gen. And Heavenly Sword isnt bad either(@ Jaxon & Trey)
JBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #36
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Quote:
Honestly, saying you played "Every game worth mentioning on the Wii." isn't valid at all. Every game you thought might be good. And what're you talking about Galaxy? It had more levels than Sunshine, a lot of replay value since the thing is just simple, easy fun in general, they added things like the reverse gravity, star bits, spin attack, jumping between planets, and all kinds of other stuff. Sure it was faithful to the original gameplay formula, but if you deviate too much you have a ton of fans bitching and moaning. Three franchises on NES did this: Zelda, Mario, and Castlevania. All three sequels in these cases were extremely underrated, just because they weren't faithful to the original game.

I wouldn't say it deserves all the overratedness and hype it gets. The films, forge, and theater are nothing really new. Other FPSs in the past had a map making feature to them, and recording in general is something people usually do on their own. Honestly, the gameplay formula was done better in other places. Think back to Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark for the N64. Both vastly superior shooters.

That still doesn't change the fact that you spend two weeks or so without a console because they shipped you a faulty system.

@Shinobiknight: Nintendo "has me in their pocket...." Ha! I don't really like the Wii as much as you think. I don't think in any way that it's the best console, or that it's going in a direction I approve of, but its bashing is undeserved. Also, Prime 3 is not an FPS game, it's an adventure game done with first person shooter elements. The vast landscape the game is done in, where you have so many things to actually find, makes it far worth buying. Since you haven't played anything except the major titles that everyone who's picked up a game in the last few years has heard of, really you don't have much room to talk about how the Wii sucks. I also never claimed that the Wii was enough, just that most of the games I want to play this generation other than the ones on the Wii are done better on the PC a lot of times. Granted, you have to spend a bit of money on your PC, but I have.

Also, the Xbox 360 doesn't have that many exclusives I want to play anymore. Halo 3 I'll admit was a decent game, if a bit bland storyline wise, there were a few more back then but I never really had much of a thing for that console. PS3 also has good exclusives: Metal Gear Solid 4, God of... Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Haze, and a few others. There are also games that are done also on the PS3, and sometimes they're actually done better.
I'm responding to just the part after "@Shinobiknight:". I was too lazy to delete the rest, deal with it.

What exactly makes its bashing undeserved? Great exclusives have flooded in on the other two consoles, and the Wii has... what? Galaxy? Prime 3? Not enough. Also, elaborate in regards to these good games on the Wii that I've never heard of. I'd like to see what you're thinking here.

So Metroid Prime 3 isn't a first-person shooter? My apologies, I was led astray by the fact that almost the entire game is played from a first-person perspective, and that your only weapon in the game is a gun. The same damn gun, which leads me to my main complaint about it. In every good FP... no, in every good game that revolves around shooting, there must be a variety of guns and types of guns. With Prime, you get the same gun, which you can charge up, and a limited amount of missiles. Sure, it gets upgraded with heat/ice, etc. powers. but at the end of the game, it operates in the exact same way as it did when you first started. Other games have more variety with their guns; Mass Effect, an RPG, had four different types, with many different models of each type with varying stats, and upgrades that actually changed how the gun worked a little. Regarding Prime's landscape, I would agree, the first time you visit any given location. But the fourth or fifth time you visit the same damn place and fight through the same areas WITH THE SAME DAMNED GUN because you got an upgrade that let you access a new area, it gets really annoying. Especially when you know that at the end of this new area is another upgrade that you won't use until you've traveled somewhere else you've already been before and fought the same enemies again.
Excuse my rant, I had to vent a little regarding the game.

As for exclusives done better on the PC, that's your opinion (mine is very different), but you can't deny the existence of good games that are for the 360 and it alone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Gears 2 and Fable 2 aren't coming out for any other console or the PC. If you don't intend to get those, I think you're seriously missing out. And there are great exclusives on the PS3 too (not the ones you mentioned, but that has already been pointed out). If you restrict yourself to just the PC and Wii, you're going to miss out on a lot of awesome titles.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #37
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite$ View Post
I stopped reading after that.
Get 'em, Trey.
Lol, he resigned a bit in his latest post so I'll go easier on him. I can respect his decisions/opinions.

Quote:
What did I say about Mario Galaxy? A lot of innovating happened there. Besides, honestly Halo 2 ruined it in my opinion. The gameplay was a bit different that time around and they added the online multiplayer, but the singleplayer seemed to be incredibly short with a very bad plot. Halo 3 was a big step up, but honestly there were no true breakthroughs between 2 and 3. Actually, I still think the first halo was the best. It seemed like with the next few games, they just kinda sloppily glued things onto a formula that already worked. If some of the elements were implemented better, like Dual Wielding which is outclassed in every way by pure battle rifle spammage. That's another thing I wanted to address, all those bugs that are in the game, whether intentional or not they're incredibly cheap. You have to have heard of BXR, Dual Shotting, Quad Shotting, all that BS that was in Halo 2 and pretty much broke the multiplayer for anyone that wasn't willing to practice constantly with them. But I think most people would admit that Halo 2 is by far the weakest in teh series.
Sure, BxR and quad shooting weren't intended to be in the game, but it didn't break it. They only added a meta-game that took some time perfecting and gave an advantage to whoever used it. Some would argue those things enhanced the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
Better gameplay? I think not. Meh, maybe I'm a retro junkie, but I still believe that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to this day are more fun to play in general. And to say "anyone who argued this way is like this" is usually incorrect. I also don't put much in store with graphics either. Just the fun that I had with some of the sequences in Goldeneye 007 and the multiplayer can't be matched, and no it has nothing to do with the nostalgia factor.
Nostalgia =/= better gameplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
I'm fairly sure there were more games with renewable health before Halo. That's another thing they messed with. The two sequels should have had shields with health meters too. Would have added more challenge to the gameplay having to keep your health relatively high and not get hit too much after you've dropped your shield. One more thing that pisses me off about Halo's gameplay is the Legendary difficulty. They basically take the game and break it, giving you enemies that take a ton of fire or a cheap combination *coughNoobCombocough* to kill, and who kill you in only a few shots. Don't even get me started on those Jackal Snipers in Halo 2 that kill you in one hit. They turn the whole game into a memorization fest.
As far as Legendary, Jackal Snipers were annoying, that is true. But it's not like they were formidable. There was more good than the Jackal bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
Once ALL reports of red rings have completely ceased, and people don't have to listen to that god damned Microsoft Tech Support, then I'll say they've rectified it. You can't tell me that having your Xbox screw up on you, calling Microsoft and having them tell you it's your fault, and then waiting two weeks for it to come back, knowing full well it was a matter of time before it screwed up again and you'd have to repeat the process, would not piss you off.
No system has zero fault. So, you expect perfection from MS, but not Nintendo/Sony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
Hey, I liked Haze! I meant it as a joke when I put Heavenly Sword there though. The thing is basically God of War with improved graphics and about two or three hours of gameplay trimmed off. You also play as a "hawt chick with teh bewbz!!!" And @Jaxon, I loved Uncharted even though it could have been a bit longer.
You like Haze, but not Halo? Lolol
Old 08-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #38
JBoogie
Raw

Metal Gear Solid 4 defeats all!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #39
IGOS
Hunter-Nin

IGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these partsIGOS is infamous around these parts

lol i still think the greatest game for the wii is Wii Bowling....... and that should speak for itself, as for the 360 the arcade version seems retarded, just save more money and dont jew yourself into disappointment, that and come on i am a huge Sony fan but thats because of Final Fantasy games and sine Final Fantasy XIII is coming out for the 360 i may switch over, not 100% sure though i do need a blue-ray player >_>i still find it funny that the older non gaming generation is buying PS3's and wont ever play a game on it, they just use it for the blueray player since its cheaper then buying a stand alone B-R player.

yeah thats me and that is MY rifle >_> BAMMM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_NaRuTo_6 View Post
If you shoved a broom up my ass, put me on a trampoline on top of a skyscraper in an earthquake, cut of my arms, taken out my eyes I could have probablly made a better sig...on paint.
IGOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #40
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

I'm not an extremely active gamer, mainly because I've kinda been growing out of video games and whatnot-- But I've been wanting to buy a Wii or 360 or PS3 for a while now. I've heard that the PS3 pretty much sums up to fail, so I was thinking of getting the Wii, mainly because I've been wanting to play Brawl. That is probably the sole reason for me getting the Wii.
On the other hand, if I do decide to get the 360, the only games I can see myself playing are Soul Cal 4, Halo, Gears, and maybe Bioshock. Of course this would be games I would play occasionally.
Which should I still get? I mean, is the 360 really right for me, even if the gameplay and system is better?

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #41
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha1412Toshi View Post
I'm not an extremely active gamer, mainly because I've kinda been growing out of video games and whatnot-- But I've been wanting to buy a Wii or 360 or PS3 for a while now. I've heard that the PS3 pretty much sums up to fail, so I was thinking of getting the Wii, mainly because I've been wanting to play Brawl. That is probably the sole reason for me getting the Wii.
On the other hand, if I do decide to get the 360, the only games I can see myself playing are Soul Cal 4, Halo, Gears, and maybe Bioshock. Of course this would be games I would play occasionally.
Which should I still get? I mean, is the 360 really right for me, even if the gameplay and system is better?
That depends. Brawl is only a lot of fun if you have others to play with in Brawl mode. If your friends play videogames as little as you do, you'd probably better get the 360. Better single-player games, and if a friend actually wants to play a game with you, you can just duke it out in Soulcalibur (which IMO isn't as fun as Brawl, but that's the tradeoff). There's also the chance that a game will come out for the 360 that really interests you, and turns out to be good. On the Wii? Much less of a chance.

Also, the PS3 doesn't fail as much as you've been told, but if it's something you're only going to play once in a while, better avoid it.

Last edited by ShinobiKnight; 08-25-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #42
AnticitizenOne
The One Free Man

AnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to allAnticitizenOne is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Sure, BxR and quad shooting weren't intended to be in the game, but it didn't break it. They only added a meta-game that took some time perfecting and gave an advantage to whoever used it. Some would argue those things enhanced the game.
Meh, I suppose you have a point here, but honestly anyone who can get their hands on a Battle Rifle and knows how to BXR/Quad Shot has a massive advantage in a 1v1 fight. This is of course assuming that the two people are fighting a straight battle, none of them sneaking up and getting in a headshot before the person is noticed. You may argue that such an occasion barely happens in gameplay, but honestly that's the only way to accurately measure it. It's more than an advantage, it's a guaranteed kill.
Quote:
Nostalgia =/= better gameplay.
When did I say that? I favor those shooters because I like their gameplay more. Saying a game has better gameplay universally is presumptive at best and arrogant at worst. This is why everyone has a different #1 game of all time, and why everyone has different reasons for why that game is their favorite.
Quote:
As far as Legendary, Jackal Snipers were annoying, that is true. But it's not like they were formidable. There was more good than the Jackal bad.
It's not just the Jackals that bothered me, it's the cheapness and uninspiredness of the difficulty level. All it does is make it take a rediculous amount of shots to kill enemies, and about two total to kill you. Don't get me wrong, these problems only really happen on Legendary, but it's annoying for completionist players like me who want to beat the game on the last difficulty level and get as much out of the game as possible.
Quote:
No system has zero fault. So, you expect perfection from MS, but not Nintendo/Sony?
That's not true at all. Once I hear mass reports of systems from Nintendo and Sony failing for no reason other than the owner had the gall to play a game on it, I'll understand where you're coming from.
Quote:
You like Haze, but not Halo? Lolol
I said multiple times that I liked the Halo series, but it's by no means the masterpiece or messiah of fps games that it's claimed or hyped up to be.

@ShinobiKnight: I admire the way that bit was written, so I'll respond in kind:
Quote:
What exactly makes its bashing undeserved? Great exclusives have flooded in on the other two consoles, and the Wii has... what? Galaxy? Prime 3? Not enough. Also, elaborate in regards to these good games on the Wii that I've never heard of. I'd like to see what you're thinking here.
Some decent games I've played other than the obvious Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl would have to be:
Redsteel: Most people regard this game as being rather low quality, calling it a bland, uninspired shooter. This isn't true at all. The game has a good balance of gun fighting that's very fun once you get used to the controls, climactic sword battles, and an interesting method of storytelling. Some of the sequences in the game are done very well and are usually taken just as intended. To be fair, the beginning of the game is about an average shooter, but about halfway through you get introduced to elements that make it a lot more fun to play and add new strategies to the game that weren't present before.
Manhunt 2: I'm sure most people have heard of this game. If you're fond of the stealth-action genre, you'll probably get a kick out of this game. Granted, it could have been better, but it has a great storyline, very atmospheric gameplay mixed with elements from a third person shooter game, and disturbing visuals.
This isn't taking into account many of the other ports that were usually the best on the Wii: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Bully: Scholarship Edition, and the list goes on.
Quote:
So Metroid Prime 3 isn't a first-person shooter? My apologies, I was led astray by the fact that almost the entire game is played from a first-person perspective, and that your only weapon in the game is a gun. The same damn gun, which leads me to my main complaint about it. In every good FP... no, in every good game that revolves around shooting, there must be a variety of guns and types of guns. With Prime, you get the same gun, which you can charge up, and a limited amount of missiles. Sure, it gets upgraded with heat/ice, etc. powers. but at the end of the game, it operates in the exact same way as it did when you first started. Other games have more variety with their guns; Mass Effect, an RPG, had four different types, with many different models of each type with varying stats, and upgrades that actually changed how the gun worked a little. Regarding Prime's landscape, I would agree, the first time you visit any given location. But the fourth or fifth time you visit the same damn place and fight through the same areas WITH THE SAME DAMNED GUN because you got an upgrade that let you access a new area, it gets really annoying. Especially when you know that at the end of this new area is another upgrade that you won't use until you've traveled somewhere else you've already been before and fought the same enemies again.
Excuse my rant, I had to vent a little regarding the game.
Uhh... That's the same way all the Metroid games have played so far. The Metroid Prime series took the sidescrolling perspective and took it into a first person perspective, it's still an adventure game. What you mention about the gun may be true, but it confuses me a little. Why does the fact that you're weilding the same gun bother you so much when there are so many different upgrades and ammunition to add to the gun and make it better? If I recall correctly there were also other bits put in.
Quote:
As for exclusives done better on the PC, that's your opinion (mine is very different), but you can't deny the existence of good games that are for the 360 and it alone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Gears 2 and Fable 2 aren't coming out for any other console or the PC. If you don't intend to get those, I think you're seriously missing out. And there are great exclusives on the PS3 too (not the ones you mentioned, but that has already been pointed out). If you restrict yourself to just the PC and Wii, you're going to miss out on a lot of awesome titles.
I didn't mean exclusives, I meant a lot of the great games done today. Call of Duty 4 and Bioshock are cheif examples of this. If you have a good enough computer, those run at higher resolutions in high definition format, are sharper, allow for modified content assuming anyone has made any, have a higher framerate, have more smooth control, and are often more customizeable than their console counterparts. The greatest gameplay experience, in my opinion, comes from having a superior gaming class PC.

Also, the games that came before both of those were eventually ported to the PC, so I doubt I'll be missing them too much if I really want to play them.

Last edited by AnticitizenOne; 08-26-2008 at 04:58 PM.
AnticitizenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #43
Trey
Legendary

Quote:
Meh, I suppose you have a point here, but honestly anyone who can get their hands on a Battle Rifle and knows how to BXR/Quad Shot has a massive advantage in a 1v1 fight. This is of course assuming that the two people are fighting a straight battle, none of them sneaking up and getting in a headshot before the person is noticed. You may argue that such an occasion barely happens in gameplay, but honestly that's the only way to accurately measure it. It's more than an advantage, it's a guaranteed kill.
The only way it's that big of an advantage is if someone is ridiculously good. Double shooting (which is quad shooting) requires precise timing. Have you tried it? To pull it off, you have to take your thumb off the right stick to tap X to cancel out the shooting animation. That means you can't aim while doing it (under normal controls that is). It's hard to pull off in the heat of battle, which is why it's considered "ultimate skill", even in Halo 2's metagame.

Hell, I have problems pulling it off, and I've been playing Halo since '02.

BxR is ridiculously easy though, but everyone knows it in some capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
When did I say that? I favor those shooters because I like their gameplay more. Saying a game has better gameplay universally is presumptive at best and arrogant at worst. This is why everyone has a different #1 game of all time, and why everyone has different reasons for why that game is their favorite.
No, you did not take the technical gameplay into consideration. You said that you remember having more fun playing Goldeneye than playing Halo. That's nostalgia. Shit, I remember having more fun playing Halo than any other game, ever. I still think Halo 3 is a better game. That's not even a good analogy because the leap from Goldeneye to Halo is much more significant than the jump from Halo to Halo 3. Point of that matter is: Halo improves on every facet of Goldeneye's gameplay. That fact is undeniable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
It's not just the Jackals that bothered me, it's the cheapness and uninspiredness of the difficulty level. All it does is make it take a rediculous amount of shots to kill enemies, and about two total to kill you. Don't get me wrong, these problems only really happen on Legendary, but it's annoying for completionist players like me who want to beat the game on the last difficulty level and get as much out of the game as possible.
Legendary doesn't let you run 'n' gun like everyone is used to. You have to be smart with your grenades (now the most valuable equipment in the game), and take cover. Legendary isn't hard, it's tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
That's not true at all. Once I hear mass reports of systems from Nintendo and Sony failing for no reason other than the owner had the gall to play a game on it, I'll understand where you're coming from.
Point taken. But to hold it over MS that their system is broken when reports of failures are dwindling and they're compensating you when it does fail is just biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO
I said multiple times that I liked the Halo series, but it's by no means the masterpiece or messiah of fps games that it's claimed or hyped up to be.
It's just as viable, if not more, as any other shooter.

Also, I've played Red Steel, and that shit is broken. So bad. The Wiimote is NOT FOR SHOOTERS!

Last edited by Trey; 08-26-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #44
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

Quote:
@ShinobiKnight: I admire the way that bit was written, so I'll respond in kind:

Some decent games I've played other than the obvious Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl would have to be:
Redsteel: Most people regard this game as being rather low quality, calling it a bland, uninspired shooter. This isn't true at all. The game has a good balance of gun fighting that's very fun once you get used to the controls, climactic sword battles, and an interesting method of storytelling. Some of the sequences in the game are done very well and are usually taken just as intended. To be fair, the beginning of the game is about an average shooter, but about halfway through you get introduced to elements that make it a lot more fun to play and add new strategies to the game that weren't present before.
Manhunt 2: I'm sure most people have heard of this game. If you're fond of the stealth-action genre, you'll probably get a kick out of this game. Granted, it could have been better, but it has a great storyline, very atmospheric gameplay mixed with elements from a third person shooter game, and disturbing visuals.
This isn't taking into account many of the other ports that were usually the best on the Wii: Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Bully: Scholarship Edition, and the list goes on.

Uhh... That's the same way all the Metroid games have played so far. The Metroid Prime series took the sidescrolling perspective and took it into a first person perspective, it's still an adventure game. What you mention about the gun may be true, but it confuses me a little. Why does the fact that you're weilding the same gun bother you so much when there are so many different upgrades and ammunition to add to the gun and make it better? If I recall correctly there were also other bits put in.

I didn't mean exclusives, I meant a lot of the great games done today. Call of Duty 4 and Bioshock are cheif examples of this. If you have a good enough computer, those run at higher resolutions in high definition format, are sharper, allow for modified content assuming anyone has made any, have a higher framerate, have more smooth control, and are often more customizeable than their console counterparts. The greatest gameplay experience, in my opinion, comes from having a superior gaming class PC.

Also, the games that came before both of those were eventually ported to the PC, so I doubt I'll be missing them too much if I really want to play them.
I've heard of the games you mentioned. I've read reviews of most of them. Even if Red Steel is the way you describe, shooter games on other consoles are still far superior. And the Splinter Cell games I've played so far were extremely fun, so if Manhunt 2 left anything to desire, Splinter Cell almost certainly surpasses it. I don't know if any Splinter Cell titles have been ported to the PC. Resident Evil, like Twilight Princess, can be played on the Gamecube. Can't say anything about the Godfather or Bully, because those aren't my type of game to begin with.

I can see the Metroid formula working on a side-scroller, but on a next-gen title, there's no excuse for the amount of backtracking. As for the weapon, yes, there are upgrades that make it more powerful. But like I said, there's no variation. Maybe your gun now does ice damage and can repair broken fuses, but in a fight, you use it the exact same way you did before. That, combined with the backtracking, makes you feel like you've already done everything after playing through part of the game and visiting the main locations once.
Games are kept interesting through variation, a fact which Assassin's Creed sadly didn't grasp, and one which should have been better heeded in the Prime games.

Oh shit, did I say exclusives? Didn't mean to. At any rate, you can't always depend on a good game being ported to the PC. There will inevitably be good games that aren't ever ported, or aren't for a long time. Maybe some of those will be games that really interest you. I suggest you get a console, but I don't think you will, despite all Trey and I have said.

Also, your bit with Trey about BxR, quad-shotting, etc. interests me. I'm on Trey's side on that one: they didn't break the game. If you pull it off, yes, it's a kill, but that's only one point. It's really difficult to get right, and there're tons of ways to screw up. And if you screw up while trying to do it, you're dead. I personally never mastered BxR or any advanced tricks like that. Did I have trouble with the game because of it? Not at all. I kicked tons of ass the few times I played Halo 2 on Live.

Last edited by ShinobiKnight; 08-26-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #45
JBoogie
Raw

MGS4!!!!!!