Barack Obama mocks the Bible - Page 6 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone > Random Videos

Random Videos Post YouTube and Google videos here. Do not post anything that will get you banned.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #76
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Barack Obama mocks the Bible

To a conservative christian, "mocking" or "bashing" can be simply disagreeing with some parts of the bible, because the bible is so sacred to them.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #77
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Shinobi - At this moment we're not bashing the Bible, we're simply trying to get across our point that Obama using those paragraphs to demonstrate that religion and public policy should not mix.

Now it's as simple as this, Obama said that the Bible suggests these things and any person in their right mind can see that it does suggest them. For example Leviticus, by giving those rules on slavery suggests that slavery is okay and that's how people have and will interpret it, that's how some Christians have and will continue to interpret it. Why? Because it's what it suggests and as I said before these suggestions are what forge interpretations. No matter what context you say it was in.

RBN says that the Bibles meaning of slavery is different, that's fine... that's his interpretation. But this doesn't seem to be the sole interpretation in the world and that's one of the things, which interpretation would they use to guide those public policies? Religious stuff should be kept personal because everyone has their own personal views on it, you can't make public policies that affect everyone using one sole interpretation. Now Leviticus suggests slavery is alright, some Christians would say that it doesn't apply to this day and age and have their reasons for it but some others would argue that it does. I mean look at Iran and it's Islamic law, its laws are based of the Quran, how well is that suiting everyone there? Would you like a Christian version of Iran in America? What ever interpretation you might end up using, there's a group that won't like it so it's best to use none at all.

Last edited by Demi-God; 09-04-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #78
Pride
Change is coming

Pride will become famous soon enoughPride will become famous soon enough

MTV Exclusive : Kanye to announce God hates black people.

[1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2]
Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #79
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja48 View Post
To a conservative christian, "mocking" or "bashing" can be simply disagreeing with some parts of the bible, because the bible is so sacred to them.
This is true. Perhaps I should have used terminology other than "bashing".

Also, on the issue of the Bible condoning slavery, so what? Just because God won't mind doesn't make it acceptable in this day and age where it's outlawed and considered morally unethical. The Bible doesn't encourage slavery, it simply offers guidlines on taking and owning slaves if one should choose to, a choice which is inapplicable today.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #80
Miburo

Uh, God doesn't mind people being bought and sold like property? That's kind of a big deal when discussing whether or not the dude's word should be used to make decisions within the government.

Also, how does saying "you may buy slaves" not condone slavery? It's not only condoning it, it's permitting it. You can't possibly be serious, come on. = /
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #81
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Uh, God doesn't mind people being bought and sold like property? That's kind of a big deal when discussing whether or not the dude's word should be used to make decisions within the government.

Also, how does saying "you may buy slaves" not condone slavery? It's not only condoning it, it's permitting it. You can't possibly be serious, come on. = /
Ah, okay. That much I understand. And to make this clear, I do agree that the Bible should not be used to govern the country.

The Bible isn't telling people to go buy slaves. It's presenting the choice to do so to each individual, and providing guidelines so those who do buy slaves won't go overboard. For the record, the Bible instructs masters to be kind and fair to their slaves. Obviously, slave owners have not and do not adhere to those rules, which is why I'm firmly against slavery.
And since I know your argument will be "So if slave owners all did that, you wouldn't mind slavery?" My answer is I would still be against it. It's my personal belief that one should never hold a slave if the slave would prefer being free, or has a mental illness or other special condition. And since no one in their right mind would prefer slavery to freedom, that means no slavery.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #82
Pride
Change is coming

Pride will become famous soon enoughPride will become famous soon enough

ll srs pride tmez lwl.

You have to realize that the bible wasn't written in English, it had to be translated from Hebrew (old testiment) and Greek (new testiment) and there may not have been a literal translation of 'laborer' and the description of the author of the given book may have given the scholars and translators the idea that the 'laborers' were slaves. Also keep in mind that these translations were made when slavery was accepted world wide, and the translators could have used the term slave in order to modernize the texts.

Whilst you also have to remember the direct contradiction between God saying this is how to buy / treat slaves, he also had Moses free 'his people' from Egypt, these people were slaves. But again the most important thing is to remember that the bible you read and the Books if the Bible that were written way back when are probably quite different in many aspects, because again there are many words with no literal translations to many languages, and the Bible is up for interpretation.

[1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2]
Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #83
Miburo

@SK-I never said it is telling people to buy slaves. I'm saying it is telling people they're permitted to buy slaves. Which is pretty fucked up. I'd bet anything the only reason you're attempting to defend this at all is because it's in the bible. If a law was drafted that said "You may murder people for no reason," I would hope you wouldn't say "It's not telling people to murder people, it's just giving them the choice to do so lololololol." Right? Like I said, come on. = /

@Pride-That may be true, but it's not like we wouldn't know about it. It isn't a lost language or anything. If there was a miscommunication then translators would be able to point that out and clarify that it didn't necessarily mean humans could be treated as property. Yet I've looked and looked, and haven't found anything that shows that could be the case.