toonami - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about
toonami

Toonami is dead. RIP.
September 20th, 2008 – 6:57 pm
Tagged as: Anime, Industry News
It’s official. Cartoon Network announced today that they are ending their Toonami cartoon block. After tonight, September 20th, 2008, it’s gone. Employees who worked on the block will be going to other parts of the channel. Anime will be mostly handled by Adult Swim (which, as I wrote earlier, is also dying), and there will be another action block replacing Toonami on Friday nights afterwards. Toonami Jetstream will remain without the Toonami name.

This is another sad day for American fans of anime. Toonami was one of the programming blocks that brought decent anime to U.S. airwaves. Now it’s gone, and it looks like anime on Cartoon Network is doomed to extinction.

Started in 1997, Toonami was the first real cable option action anime. It brought us shows like Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing, and most importantly, Dragon Ball Z. In its later days, Toonami aired more generic shows like Naruto and One Piece while Adult Swim handled the more “mature” series like Death Note, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, and Blood+. But recently, most anime fans had given up on the block since its selection of shows had been rather…poor. Some stalwart fans still held out hope that the execs at Cartoon Network would bring in exciting new shows again, but it seems like they’ve decided to give up. No word on exactly what shows they plan to replace the Toonami lineup with.

There’s also no official word yet on whether Toonami’s biggest current series, Naruto, will be continued past the remaining episodes they have the broadcast rights to. The show is in the middle of a big set of “filler” episodes, and ratings have apparently tanked. Lots of fans were still looking forward to seeing Naruto: Shippuden air, but there’s no word on whether that will happen now.

Tonight there will be a special on-air announcement for the final airing of the block. Tune in and say goodbye.

i just wanted to hear some more thoughts about it. it played a big part for me when i was younger, i used to watch it religously. but it kinda went downhill recently. and i wonder what will happen to naruto
blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
powerslave84
Academy Student

powerslave84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: toonami

Toonami got me into anime when I was around 10. This really sucks. I remember the Sailor Moon, DBZ and Gundam Wing block like the back of my hand.

You will be missed.
powerslave84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold

Bewildered I watched. © 2008 Anonymous

I gazed in awe as the luminescent glow of dusk settled; the sands of time whipped about along the wind. How was I to know what I would feel in those passing moments? Glee? Shock? Rage? Angst?

No.

For the only emotion that welled up inside the calloused cauldron of my soul was a distinct emptiness. Alone I sat in front of the flickering screen as the lights dimmed. The sweet serenade that had ushered me to a fantastical sleep as a child populated by dreams and promises was fading. The voice of my youngest of years whispered so eloquently the long, last goodbye.

“Bang...”

Warmth did touch my eyes and stream down my cheeks. Though I am a man today the child inside wept. There was nothing. There was nothing.

So my childhood ended with one word. The lock that sealed eleven years.

Stay gold....
Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Shad0w_Hunter
Hunter-Nin

Shad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enough

Indeed sad news...however, after 04 there was a steep and steady decline in the content of anime showed on toonami...

But weep not my friends...us american anime fans can find respite in the wonders of subbed anime.

My Fanfictions:

My groups:

Co-owner:
Hatake Kakashi FC
Hyuuga Hinata FC
Shad0w_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Satoku
One Pump Chump

Satoku is on a distinguished roadSatoku is on a distinguished road

did it really take 3 years to die off?
this doesnt affect me in the least bit since I havent watched Cartoon Network in at least 2 years (excluding adult swim)

its probably gonna be replaced with some kid friendly bullshit
now thats a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w_Hunter View Post
Indeed sad news...however, after 04 there was a steep and steady decline in the content of anime showed on toonami...

But weep not my friends...us american anime fans can find respite in the wonders of subbed anime.
keep dreaming

Last edited by Satoku; 09-22-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Satoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,774 Times in 930 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

toonami did open up my horizon in anime back in the days of gold with yu yu hakusho, gundam wing, salor moon, inuyasha, cyborg 009, fullmetal alchemist, some of Hayao Miyazaki's work like My Neighbor Totoro, and others. it was great up until maybe 3 or 4 years ago then i stopped watching because it simply started to suck due to their poor selection of anime like blake mentioned. but yeah the news doesn't shock me one bit either.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

If I see some gay ass Total Drama island, Camp Lazzlo, or other retarded CN show...I'm going to scream. They've been going downhill with shows in the last few years. They cater more to little kids now. Let Nick and Disney have their kiddie shows and retarded teen shows. The only TV I watch is Adult Swim, The Colbert Report, and all the Guns & Ammo tv on Wednesdays. Don't take my Adult Swim.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

there taking adult swim away too.
all i miss was when they used to have dbz gundam wing, and yuyu everyday starting at 5. that was the only real reason i watched cn. and i guess there wont be naruto shipiuuden subbed because i think theyre trying to go away from anime
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

We've barely ever had any anime broadcast in the UK. Shut your collective whining.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
kimm21
Oni

kimm21 is on a distinguished roadkimm21 is on a distinguished road

bout fucking time
BROOKLYN RAGE!!!
kimm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
narutoiscool
Chuunin

narutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to beholdnarutoiscool is a splendid one to behold

that sucks.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzegBv5bam4
best song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=segm2CUWFp4
Tokio hotel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llH13hboNYA
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApqwIgSbgQ&feature=
narutoiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

USA > UK. STFU Jaxon.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
catilena1890
I ran outta fucks to give

catilena1890 will become famous soon enoughcatilena1890 will become famous soon enough

I remember ronin warriors. I have some episodes on my youtube playlist. I can't believe toonami is going to be gone. What will happen to Naruto?

catilena1890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
kimm21
Oni

kimm21 is on a distinguished roadkimm21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catilena1890 View Post
I remember ronin warriors. I have some episodes on my youtube playlist. I can't believe toonami is going to be gone. What will happen to Naruto?
hopfully on adult swim
BROOKLYN RAGE!!!
kimm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #15
blake
Hunter-Nin

naruto isnt violent enough for adult swim imo. its more of a kid anime. but if adult swim folds there wont be anywhere for naruto unless it gets picked up by 4kids and we dont want that