space elevator - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
zer0systm
Antagonist

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,875 Posts
zer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nice
space elevator

Japan plans to build a space elevator, Gundam Meisters prepare for battle...

ABC News reports that Japan plans to build the world's first space elevator. And no this is not a joke.

An estimated $9 Billion will be spent on building a massive elevator that will be capable of lifting people and objects into orbit. This will mean that dreams of being in space will be quite reachable for the masses. Currently if you want to go into space for a holiday, it's going to cost around $30 Million.

In the anime series Gundam 00, this very same technology was used in a not too distant future to harvest energy from the Sun and also provide space travel for masses of people....of course this may also mean that it won't be long till we see giant robots in space with pilots calling themselves "Gundam".

Old 09-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about
Re: space elevator

this is kinda off topic but how come we always hear of robot and space news coming from japan but we dont hear anything useful like cures for aids or cancer. seems like theyre focused on silly stuff that doesnt really pan out. i mean seriously a space elevator. there must be something more important than that that needs inventing
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Naah, this has to be a hoax. Seriously? Link me to the story.

If this is true, that's awesome. It'll be like Z.O.E. And I believe Halo had one too.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold

Space elevators have been proposed before, but idunno if Japan has started making one.

Please post the source article when posting in the news section.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Haiphong
Missing-Nin

Haiphong is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets just hope that there isn't any crappy elevator music in it when they make one. I'm not spending a few hours in an elevator to space with bad music on it!
Haiphong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Shad0w_Hunter
Hunter-Nin

Shad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
this is kinda off topic but how come we always hear of robot and space news coming from japan but we dont hear anything useful like cures for aids or cancer. seems like theyre focused on silly stuff that doesnt really pan out. i mean seriously a space elevator. there must be something more important than that that needs inventing
CAuse cancer and aids are depressing. Robots and Space elevators are neat and happy.

My Fanfictions:

My groups:

Co-owner:
Hatake Kakashi FC
Hyuuga Hinata FC
Shad0w_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
zer0systm
Antagonist

zer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nice

Sorry here is the Link

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/new...ew&newsId=1155

@Blake

You've obviously never watched Gundam before who need s a cure for cancer when you can fight and fly in Giant robots!!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Shad0w_Hunter
Hunter-Nin

Shad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enoughShad0w_Hunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0systm View Post
Sorry here is the Link

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/new...ew&newsId=1155

@Blake

You've obviously never watched Gundam before who need s a cure for cancer when you can fight and fly in Giant robots!!
Better yet, why not fight cancer in SPACE while FLYING these giant robot!

My Fanfictions:

My groups:

Co-owner:
Hatake Kakashi FC
Hyuuga Hinata FC
Shad0w_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

dude, im the biggest gundam fan ever. dont jump to conclusions, im just saying how is building a gundam or halo gonna actually help people.
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:31 AM   #10
shadow_moon
ANBU

shadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
dude, im the biggest gundam fan ever. dont jump to conclusions, im just saying how is building a gundam or halo gonna actually help people.
it would use for weapon of destruction, to minimize the population of humans....
Old 09-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
zer0systm
Antagonist

Quote:
Yeahhhh Gundam Kicks ass
Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
MaFrog
Chuunin

MaFrog will become famous soon enoughMaFrog will become famous soon enoughMaFrog will become famous soon enough

I just want to know two things... well maybe 3.

What happens when it gets stuck...?

and is it a glass elevator... because if its not, there's no real point, is there?

and this might be anal, but what happens to the earth's rotation, if there is a whooping giant 'pole' coming up from the earth?

and where the F does it go to?

apart from that - it sounds kinda interesting
MaFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold

^This won't be a goddamn poorly engineered piece of shit mexican elevator that you use when you want to get to the second floor of Macys at your local mall (why not use the stairs?), and even in those you're not worried about it getting stuck.

The greatest engineers on this planet will build this thing, and will address problems far more serious and difficult to solve than "what if it gets stuck?"

Dunno what you mean by a glass elevator. How would it being transparent and shatter-able be it's main purpose?

Yeah, there will be a really (really) thin thing extending from the earth, but I'm sure it'll be in geosynchronous orbit, so there's nothing to really worry about. Keeping the tension on the wire is going to be the main problem.

It goes to mother fucking space. Instead of having to use HUGE EXPLOSIONS to get to space, the common people might be able to chill at a space station by exerting the same effort as, say, taking a vacation to China.

Having easy access to space is a necessity for a growing civilization. At some point we're going to need it to solve problems dealing with overpopulation (waste, food, living space, etc). Space elevators will be a huge step for HUMANITY.

Oh, and here's a cooler, less fake article.
Japan hopes to turn sci-fi into reality with elevator to the stars
Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
MaFrog
Chuunin

MaFrog will become famous soon enoughMaFrog will become famous soon enoughMaFrog will become famous soon enough

I have no idea whether you are being serious or not...? but Im going to assume you have a happy spirit.

when I said glass, I mean about the view. Who wants to travel up to space and not be able to see it.
I wonder if it would be like a mini airplane - you sit in comfort with the Dvd player, a few drinks
or are you stuck in a square box staring at other freaks trying to get to space.
how does the elevator link up with the space station?
or would the station just travel around with the elevator attached....

or am I thinking about this way tooo hard now?
MaFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

I just want mechs to zoom up and down it like in Dolores, I. Neee-yoooowm.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote