Crowd rallies against atheist sign - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
The Assassins Curse
The Coffee Man

The Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the roughThe Assassins Curse is a jewel in the rough
Crowd rallies against atheist sign

Quote:
OLYMPIA, Wash. - Christmas in the Northwest - the lights, the pageantry, the judgment?

On Sunday at the State Capitol, there was a less than jolly gathering of Christians outraged by the atheist display in the capitol building that reads, in part, "Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

“When it comes to disparaging my faith on public property, that's where I draw the line,” said rally organizer Steve Wilson.

Organizers pleaded with the crowd to keep their messages positive, but there were still signs portraying Gov. Chris Gregoire as a Grinch. Even scheduled speakers took political pot shots.

“You have led the State of Washington to be the armpit of America. And I'm afraid that our governor is the one adding the offensive odor to the armpit,” said Rev. Ken Hutcherson, Antioch Bible Church.

Across the road from the Capitol, a small group of atheists heckled the Christians and were confronted by a few.

“When you go before God, well when that happens you can say ‘I told you so,’" said one person.

The circus atmosphere was compounded by none other than a balloon art manger. While the wise men were missing, the scene did include an image of conservative talk show host Bill O’Reilly slugging Gregoire.

“He's knocking the sense of God into her,” said balloon artist Adam Lee.

The atheist sign was installed last Monday by Washington members of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The foundation's co-president, Dan Barker, said it was important for atheists to offer their viewpoint alongside the Nativity scene and Christmas-style holiday tree.
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stor....3edf1474.html

In my opinion I think it's okay for atheists to get their opinions out there but I don't think it's okay for them to put up a sign like that right next to a nativity scene, I can see why these Christians are so pissed.

Last edited by The Assassins Curse; 12-08-2008 at 03:07 AM.
The Assassins Curse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Miburo

Re: Crowd rallies against atheist sign

I loled.

"Hey, that's mean. You're armpit oder, lololololol."

Dumbasses.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

but whats the point, its not like someone is going to read it and say u know what i want to be atheist now. they were doing it just to be dicks
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Us Christians post signs like that (opposite, of course) all the time, I don't see what the big deal is.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
megami1981
Academy Student

megami1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Religion is a personal thing and shouldn't really be made public like that in the Capitol Building. However, this is not the case. On one hand, I don't think that us Christians should put up a Nativity Scene in places like the Capitol. However, if they do, then it is the right of the Athiests to post their signs as well. I don't think that it should be put right next to the Nativity, but put elsewhere. The Christians have no right to complain about it. It is the American right to post what they believe in, if they so choose. But like I said, religion is a very personal thing. Let the church put up their Nativity Scene on their property. Let the Muslims post their religious signs at their place of worship. Let the Jewish put their Star of David at their temple. However, Athiests...wherever they gather if they do, put up their anti-religion signs where they go. Leave the public places like National Parks or the Capitol Building of whatever state be. But that's just me.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

I think any public area, as long as it doesn't break any laws, is fine for anyone to post a sign or nativity scene. If a business is owned by a Christian, let them set up a nativity scene on their property.

The Capitol building is unacceptable though, because the church and the state are supposed to be separated. Political buildings should have no signs, ads or propaganda of any kind on their property.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

I hate things like this that make Chistians look like a bunch of morons, because it contributes to stereotypes. Most people already hate us, they don't need you to give them more reasons.

I think Christians and atheists should both be allowed to put up messages as long as they're not hateful and they're on someone's private property. But religion shouldn't be something you plaster on walls. You can live your faith, you can talk to people about it, you can invite people to church, but you can't shovel your beliefs into their retinas if they don't want you to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megami1981 View Post
But like I said, religion is a very personal thing. Let the church put up their Nativity Scene on their property. Let the Muslims post their religious signs at their place of worship. Let the Jewish put their Star of David at their temple. However, Athiests...wherever they gather if they do, put up their anti-religion signs where they go. Leave the public places like National Parks or the Capitol Building of whatever state be. But that's just me.
Exactly. This is how it should be.

Also, certain religions do "harden hearts", but Christianity done right does the opposite.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
blake
Hunter-Nin

blake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura aboutblake has a spectacular aura about

but why shouldnt it be allowed in the capitol building. this country was founded upon christianity. and like i was saying before, the nativitty scene ist a problem, the united atheist alliance just wanted to start some trouble
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #9
megami1981
Academy Student

megami1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't disagree with you on the fact that the nativity scene is not a problem. However, we do have the separation of church and state. For them to put up a nativity scene at the capitol is throwing it in the faces of those who don't believe in God or Jesus. We have the freedom of religion, yes. But to put up something that symbolizes only one sect of faith (be it the Catholics, Christians and whomever else like the nativity scene does) in the Capitol is stating that other beliefs are essentially wrong or unwanted. At least, that is how some people that I know of feel.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #10
The Yellow Maelstrom
Genin

The Yellow Maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly. Besides, America may have been founded on Christianity, but they pretty pulled up the roots and started over again once the amendment (not sure which one) came into place.
The Yellow Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote