Should i start to read/watch One piece - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
darrylgm
Hmmm...

darrylgm will become famous soon enoughdarrylgm will become famous soon enough
Should i start to read/watch One piece

I heard that onepiece is a really good anime and manga so i was wondering should i start to read/watch it. and if yes should i watch or read it
darrylgm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Mystik
Im a Bitch

Mystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant futureMystik has a brilliant future
Re: Should i start to read/watch One piece

A lot of people like One Piece but i dont care much for it.. I dont really like the art work or the story itself but thats just my opinion. Its already over 500 chapters i think so if your going to start reading it you need to hop to it lol.
Mystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
f1n
Academy Student

f1n is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you should, but just a warning, some of the more recent arcs are sort of boring, but either way it is definitely an anime I would reccomend "WATCHING".

Check out www.AnimeExplosion.net
Ima ien ur houz eetin ur bandwith
\
____It's a Smiley____
f1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Sauron
Chuunin

Sauron is on a distinguished road

I recommend this anime if you like naruto and things of that nature you'll probably enjoy one piece. I disagree on watching though atleast not at first. Just set sometime to read the manga from http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/. then if you can find the sub episodes i recommend doing that after. I did it the other way and didn't enjoy it much. plus you have a few fillers which atleast one they could've done without it.

http://forums.narutocentral.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24150&datel  ine=1239199012
Sauron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Tanya=^^=
Forest Gnome

Tanya=^^= is on a distinguished roadTanya=^^= is on a distinguished road

Hehehe!!! Same here!!! Everyone keeps telling me how great is One piece, and, also agree with Mystic about the artwork (if a series has bad artwork...I simply don't follow it ). My cousin has watched lots of anime, so she knows good stuff, and she told me it was good. I started reading chapter one...seems boring at first to tell the truth, but, if it's Naruto like, maybe is good. There must be a good reason for this manga to be #1 in Japan for two years in a row, don't you think?
Cuando seguimos por el camino de la Verdad somos conscientes también de que lo que ocurre en nuestro interior es mucho más importante que lo que hemos dejado atrás o lo que ven nuestros ojos. Pues lo que sentimos en nuestro interior es nuestro mayor tesoro, la grandeza del universo en sí mismo.
La princesa que creía en cuentos de hadas
Tanya=^^= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

I don't mind the artwork personally, but I still hate the series. You simply cannot convince me that an alligator with bananas growing out of its back is a serious threat. And all the stereotypical anime morals are present and accounted for in OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya=^^= View Post
There must be a good reason for this manga to be #1 in Japan for two years in a row, don't you think?
Bullshit. People are quite capable of being stupid in large numbers.

ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Sauron
Chuunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiKnight View Post
I don't mind the artwork personally, but I still hate the series. You simply cannot convince me that an alligator with bananas growing out of its back is a serious threat. And all the stereotypical anime morals are present and accounted for in OP.

Bullshit. People are quite capable of being stupid in large numbers.
Damn! I like One Piece and even so you make some good points. All in all it comes down to categorizing your animes. One Piece, Dragonball, Bleach, Naruto and etc will all have some main character that never gives up. He will also have supporters and people that get surprise by the things he can do when pushed.

With those stereotypes out of the way though the story in my mind picks up in the Water 7 arc. Each manga has a point where you are like "Oh shit!" and One Piece has a very decent one. I have to admit I thought bleach was stupid. But about a month ago I gave the manga a big chance and it really didn't disappoint. Everyone has their own opinions about what's good and not I'm just saying make sure you give One Piece the chance it deserves.

http://forums.narutocentral.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24150&datel  ine=1239199012
Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Damn! I like One Piece and even so you make some good points. All in all it comes down to categorizing your animes. One Piece, Dragonball, Bleach, Naruto and etc will all have some main character that never gives up. He will also have supporters and people that get surprise by the things he can do when pushed.
lol. Glad you admit it.

And yeah, that's true. But the true gems of anime/manga are those that break those stereotypes completely and still entertain. Of course, every protagonist refuses to give up, because if they didn't, they'd die. But there are series like Alive - The Final Evolution, where the main character is betrayed by his best friend, and rather than the usual "try to save them" thing, he hunts that mofo down and kills him. It's these stereotype-defying moments when you forget that a manga is a manga, thinking of it only as an awesome story regardless of the medium.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold

SK, if you read One Piece when you get a little older, you might find some value in it that you never could have found reading it now. Ironic, isn't it? It comes off as a happy-fun-fun generic kind of kiddie manga to you, but a lot of the charm of One Piece is in the themes and spirit. Right now, I bet really edgy, surprising, and possibly darker mangas are the ones that entertain you the most. Heavier stuff, heavy plots, you know? They can be very good in their own right, but One Piece holds a lot of artistic value in the characters and their adventure.

Have you seen Gurren Lagann? People mostly enjoy it because of the blatant, ridiculously gigantic, hotblooded action, but it's actually so much more than that. It was about the characters and how themes represented them. Not so much in their development but within their nature. In Gurren Lagann, you had themes about becoming a man (Kamina), themes about learning to love humanity (Nia), themes about losing your humanity (Lord Genome), themes about what it is to be inhuman by being repressive (the Anti-Spiral), and themes about preserving life and letting the next generation pass over you (old Simon). In the case of this show, the plot was only a mechanism to present these underlying themes in a fantastic way. Many many people watch Gurren Lagann for the robots and explosions, but its true value lies elsewhere.

In the same way, many many kids in Japan read One Piece because the battles are interesting and colorful. Banana alligator, how strange! They also keep reading because the mangaka delivers them a generic goal that he knows his fans will buy (after all, marketing is a big part of entertainment, art, and even fine art). But what hooks the old business guys of Japan, or even the kids unconsciously, are inspiring themes that give you a reason to care for the characters behind them, and the seemingly never ending adventure that these characters are put through.

One Piece is actually exceptional in this right because the characters and the world they exist in is remarkably consistent. This amounts to good writing, not in the sense that the plot is surprising or twisty, but in the sense that the world created is solid and well thought out. I mean really, for almost every character in One Piece you can imagine what they are going through behind the main plot surrounding Luffy and his dudes, because these characters get referenced in the cover pages for the chapters and because the plot occasionally intersects with characters from hundreds of chapters before.

It takes a bit of effort to explain how something generic can actually be good, so my post is fukkin long. I can actually make it longer, but I'll save it for your possible counter arguments. But read dat shit and think about it. I'm not calling you immature for not liking a generic cartoony kids manga, because it's perfectly normal to not think highly of such a thing. I'm just trying to show you another way to find value in a story.

BTW RANDOM COMMENT, you said the characters never give up in an expecting way and such, but once, the main Luffy guy actually had his head trapped in a guillotine about to die, and said very blatantly to a couple of his guys "well, looks like I can't get out of this one, I'm really going to die this time!" with a huge grin on his face. So there are times when One Piece breaks the norm, and it actually does it kind of often because most popular manga are more realistically drawn and involve stuff that relate better to eastern culture (ninjas, death gods, japanese swords, stuff like that), so by itself it's not TOO generic.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Viczor6
Hunter-Nin

Viczor6 will become famous soon enoughViczor6 will become famous soon enough

yes you should. It's no the best anime, but it's worth watching. to mutch filler episodes though.

Member of the Akatsuki FC
Viczor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

N48, I'm responding to your post. My PS3 kept fucking up when I tried to quote it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think themes in manga = bad. I just grow tired of the same ones, over and over again. The examples from Gurenn Lagann are themes I would enjoy seeing in a manga. If OP had themes that the majority of kids' anime didn't have, I'd have no problem with it in that respect.

In regards to "heavier" manga, that isn't quite true. The fact that I recently started reading Bakuman because you said it was good attests to that. I have nothing against slice of life or comedy series, or comedic moments in more serious situations (the latter is one thing I love about FMA). But I don't think action and comedy mix too well. What I mean is, if an adversary or situation is too ridiculous, even if I find it funny, I can't really consider it a serious threat. no one dies in battle in comedy series. If an adversary appears really deadly, well, he won't be that funny. It's a bit difficult to articulate what I think here.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Sauron
Chuunin

Sk- I guess I'm just shocked on how you can be into Naruto and find no interest in One Piece. Besides the Banana-Gator what does it for you?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
Cierra
Academy Student

Cierra is an unknown quantity at this point

What happened to reading it to see if you liked it? Maybe I'm unusual like that?
Cierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
Sauron
Chuunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
What happened to reading it to see if you liked it? Maybe I'm unusual like that?
Who are you talking to Cierra? My whole argument is exactly what you said but just in making sure you read at least til Luffy gets to water 7. Because it gets very deep and the whole crew is questioning the crew itself.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Sophomore Sasuke
Lightning Cop

Sophomore Sasuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Read a few chapters, see if you're interested. If not, don't waste your time. I consider it a good read. Has more progress than Detective Conan.

Sophomore Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote