An interesting way to get out of jury duty - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all
An interesting way to get out of jury duty

Quote:
New Wrinkle On Avoiding Jury Duty
In no uncertain terms, a Montana man tells judge why he won't serve

APRIL 30--There are probably better ways to avoid jury duty than the approach recently taken by a Montana man. After Erik Slye, 36, received a jury notice earlier this year, he filed a notarized affidavit seeking to be excused from serving on a District Court panel in Gallatin County. Slye's caustic affidavit, which he prepared with help from his wife Jennifer, can be found below. The document, of course, did not sit well with court officials and led a judge to threaten to jail Slye. But after being summoned to court, Slye apologized for the affidavit and avoided being cited on a criminal failure to appear rap. And he also was excused from serving on a jury.

Heard about this on the Colbert Report and I just had to put it up. The great thing about all this is that he got away from serving. Legal System vs. Wrinkly Dog Balls = WIN
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*

Last edited by Spiegel; 05-12-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
idisoneboyi
Anabolic Level

idisoneboyi is on a distinguished road
Re: An interesting way to get out of jury duty

he'd rather count the wrinkles on his dog's balls?? lmao

Last edited by idisoneboyi; 05-12-2009 at 10:41 PM.
idisoneboyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
maddog
Chuunin

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! interesting way to escape jury duty!!!

I HATE IT WHEN INNOCENT PEOPLE DIE ...
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

you can get out of jury duty by usin that financial reason thing though. just have ur boss sign it or write it. its what i do lol XD
Old 05-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
Sevi
Toothpick

Sevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to behold

I read this a while back
Never thought it was real

Who bothered to scan it?
Faithful Anon?
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
maddog
Chuunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG View Post
you can get out of jury duty by usin that financial reason thing though. just have ur boss sign it or write it. its what i do lol XD

interesting... so you have been invited for jury duty before OG?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

I have been selected once for jury duty but I couldn't come up with a good enough reason because at the time I didn't have a job or went to school so I couldn't escape. In the end I wasn't selected was free to go but it sucked waiting in the jury pool for three hours waiting to see if you were going to get selected.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
interesting... so you have been invited for jury duty before OG?
about 4 times in my life so far yea. dodged all. <.<
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
shadow_moon
ANBU

shadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the roughshadow_moon is a jewel in the rough

slye got some BALLS to say that.. hahaha...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
maddog
Chuunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG View Post
about 4 times in my life so far yea. dodged all. <.<

thanks. that's new info to me. never knew you can get called for jury duty more than once.

Judiciary in the Philippines doesn't support the Jury System. i was one of the proponents when Trial by Jury was suggested about 2 years ago. i think it's a more reassurance of a fair trial having a few select Jury to judge your case, instead of a single judge.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Wait. So, if the Philippines has no jury system, is it just trial-by-judge? Seems kind of un-democratic to me, if it is.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
maddog
Chuunin

unfortunately, it is. trial by judge only... the only thing different is that all decisions may be appealed to a higher court. all the way up to the supreme court. but no jury in all proceeding... owel... we have to live with it until it's changed.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Fearless Leader
GLORIOUS!

Fearless Leader will become famous soon enoughFearless Leader will become famous soon enoughFearless Leader will become famous soon enough

^I like that better. I'd rather be judged by someone who knows that the fuck is up, legal system wise, then a bunch of my dumbshit peers anyway, honestly.

Unless what I did was illegal, of course. Then I'd want a bunch of dumbshits judging me so I can have a chance to talk my way out of it. But, then again, it'd be my fault for getting caught in the first place.
Miburo is an idiot and will not be welcomed back to the forum. I'm not afraid of what he says, just nothing he says is worth reading. Everything he says is just a combination of profanity and stupidity. If he has an issue, he can address it with me personally. He just has to resolve to personal attacks which were unwarranted considering I have never even talked to the guy until 2 days ago.
Yeah, fuck that guy.
Fearless Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
maddog
Chuunin

^thank'd

(when will the thanks be back?)

owel...

Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Maybe in America juries are made up of fuckwits. But over here, we're judged by tea-drinking gentlemen polymaths.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote