Why Madara chose the name TOBI? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Naruto Series > Naruto Manga

Naruto Manga Talk about the manga series Naruto here! Remember, this is manga only. No anime!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
maddog
Chuunin

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Why Madara chose the name TOBI?

After reading the posts in Madara = Tobi = Obito Threads, the posts on the DB, and seeing the sig of Vengeance, there's a question that i can't answer clearly. i know Madara is trying to hide his identity. but WHY DID MADARA CHOOSE THE NAME TOBI AS HIS ALIAS?

I looked for the meaning of TOBI's name, and i got this in Naruto Wikia:
Madara (斑) can be translated as "spots". Tobi can be translated as "jump" (飛), or as "kite" (鳶). The latter translation connects Tobi with Hawk through the Japanese proverb "a hawk born from a kite" (鳶が鷹を生む, tobi ga taka o umu), meaning that an extraordinarily gifted child can be born from ordinary parents.

i don't get the relation between spots, and jump/kite.

but when i saw the sig of Vengeance, it made sense. the brother of Hashirama was named TOBIrama. there could be a connection there. masquerade using the name of the brother of your hated enemy. i also saw a video in youtube before (i'm trying look for it again) showing scanned manga pages about Sandaime telling Konohamaru about the story of the battle between Madara and Shodai in the Valley of the End. it showed that Hashirama and Tobirama were there to fight Madara. but Hashirama engulfed Tobirama in a tree so that he will not get hurt. when Tobirama got out, Madara and Hashirama were nowhere to be found...

IMO Madara used the alias TOBI, after the name of TOBIrama who was the brother of his greatest enemy, Hahirama. He was there to witness his final fight with Hashirama, and he was allowed to live because of Hashirama's love and protection...

what's your opinion?

I HATE IT WHEN INNOCENT PEOPLE DIE ...
maddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
freedom07
SASUKE'S TRUE #1 FAN!!

freedom07 has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom07 has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom07 has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom07 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Why Madara chose the name TOBI?

i thought so too ...but i think theres a better reason than choosing the 2nds name.

if thats the case i reckon he woulda just chose the name hashi or hash
freedom07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
maddog
Chuunin

^But you also agree though that he got the name TOBI from Nidaime...

Old 05-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
Shrike
█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Thanked 9,850 Times in 2,943 Posts
Shrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant future

He chose it for the lulz.

I don't think Kishimoto even had Nidaime's name in his head the day he introduced Tobi. You are looking too much into it. Tobi as a name is used for the meaning "Kite" Tobi can also mean 'to fly'.

You can draw all kinds of connections which will probably all make sense, but believe me, Kishimoto didn't think even half of those things you are thinking he did.
You can draw a line with 'fly' to his space/time jutsu which makes him go at immense speed.
Also, you can connect Tobi with Tobirama, as you said, and then, you can connect Tobirama with Mizukage, since Nidaime was Suiton user. It all matches, yes, but when the truth is revealed, almost all of those predictions are proved false and are laughed at.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shrike For This Useful Post:
platinumrug (05-24-2009)
Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Thanked 2,698 Times in 855 Posts
Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

What Shrike said, plus if it had an important link like that he wouldn't have only revealed Tobirama's name in a databook rather than actually in the manga.
Tzu Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
emachina
Jounin

emachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura about

Well, in defense of the Tobirama theory, I, and many others, wondered why Nagato and Naruto sounded so similar. I thought Kishi was running out of ideas for names, now the newest manga chapter comes out, and we know. So, there's a chance Kishi thought enough ahead to name Tobirama and then have Madara name himself Tobi.

This is a better idea than Tobi=Obito.
emachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
poolangya
gotta catch em all

poolangya will become famous soon enoughpoolangya will become famous soon enoughpoolangya will become famous soon enough

Hmm.. name resemblance theory, i have one, Madara chose the name TOBI because he is a fan of the rapper Killer bee. . now that's a theory.

ot: it doubt tobi has something to do wit the 2nd.
poolangya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
ooO)Flash(Ooo
Aka:LegacyO

ooO)Flash(Ooo is an unknown quantity at this point

lol i doubt it had anything to do with the 2nd.

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead
ooO)Flash(Ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
maddog
Chuunin

@shrike: now that you mention it, i never linked Tobirama (suiton user) with Mizukage. but now that you mention it, hmmm... there might really be a connection.

but i'm thinking when Tobi is mentioned in the village, or when he faces Naruto again, someone will mention the similarity of his name to that of the 2nd. it might be Tsunade, who is related to the first (therefore, maybe related also to the 2nd). i'm thinking kishi thought about it. he released the name of the 2nd after he introduced TOBI (after Sasori died). he never mentioned the name of the 2nd in the pre TS. he have not mentioned Tobirama's name in the manga yet. but i think he will. and that time is when Tobi is introduced to Konoha. people will recognize the name Tobi as that of their 2nd Hokage.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
pharix
Chuunin

pharix is on a distinguished road

I am of the opinion the Tobi thing is just to fuck with our minds

(tobi rearranged with one letter is obito etc)
pharix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #11
platinumrug
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked 3,034 Times in 1,400 Posts
platinumrug is just really niceplatinumrug is just really niceplatinumrug is just really niceplatinumrug is just really niceplatinumrug is just really niceplatinumrug is just really niceplatinumrug is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
@shrike: now that you mention it, i never linked Tobirama (suiton user) with Mizukage. but now that you mention it, hmmm... there might really be a connection.

but i'm thinking when Tobi is mentioned in the village, or when he faces Naruto again, someone will mention the similarity of his name to that of the 2nd. it might be Tsunade, who is related to the first (therefore, maybe related also to the 2nd). i'm thinking kishi thought about it. he released the name of the 2nd after he introduced TOBI (after Sasori died). he never mentioned the name of the 2nd in the pre TS. he have not mentioned Tobirama's name in the manga yet. but i think he will. and that time is when Tobi is introduced to Konoha. people will recognize the name Tobi as that of their 2nd Hokage.
Well yeah, Tsunade is the grand daughter of the first, and Tobi and Hash are brothers, making Tsunade and Tobi related.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #12
poolangya
gotta catch em all

poolangya will become famous soon enoughpoolangya will become famous soon enoughpoolangya will become famous soon enough

and how would akamaru and konohamaru and shikamaru be related? geez.

ot: madara choosing the name tobi for the sake of shitting on the head of the rama brothers tobi and hash is no way characteristic of him. his ego won't let him do that even if it is just for making fun of them.
poolangya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
Gamabunta
Chuunin

Gamabunta will become famous soon enoughGamabunta will become famous soon enough

"Tobi or not tobi, that is the question" - there he got it from Shakespeare

Gamabunta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gamabunta For This Useful Post:
platinumrug (05-24-2009)
Old 05-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #14
maddog
Chuunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumrug View Post
Well yeah, Tsunade is the grand daughter of the first, and Tobi and Hash are brothers, making Tsunade and Tobi related.
Tsunade could also be the grand daughter of Hashi's wife. that makes her only the grand daughter of Shodai... but that's not the point here...

Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #15
freedom07
SASUKE'S TRUE #1 FAN!!

freedom07 has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom07 has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom07 has a spectacular aura aboutfreedom07 has a spectacular aura about

tobis been waaaay too many characters already ppl think he could be obito, madara ..madara to obitos body....someone even said danzo ....and now the 2nd hokage .

the most likely theory with most evidence to support it is the obito=tobi atm...

i guess madara chose tobi for a reason involving the 2nd ..maybe the 2nd did sumit. wouldnt it be funny if we found out the 2nd was actually a baddy who was against the will of his brother lol
freedom07 is offline   Reply With Quote