Education - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Still, how would they even know of physics (or advanced physics) enough to ask questions about it? Outside of "what is physics?", what could they possibly ask that wouldn't need preexisting knowledge of the topic? It would just be questions that would be answered if the teacher just taught regularly.
The questions would not be that way. If the classroom was fueled by questions then you will keep getting deeper and deeper into a subject.

I am not saying that we should throw away books either. I just would rather take away the medium of the teacher, which really does nothing except tell you facts. Books will give you the information, then you ask questions on the books which should only lead to more questions. Any scientific answer should lead to more questions. I mean, we are attempting to refine the universe because we will never be able to answer it. If we look at it this way, sort of like a half-life problem in math, we will never reach the final answer. We will infinitely get closer and closer.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold
Re: Education

What happens when people don't understand something (which is inevitable)? Those books won't teach them, it'll just tell them. A teacher is there because they could answer in a fluid way that a book couldn't.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trey For This Useful Post:
Azumi (08-20-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
The Madness
Passion Rules

Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,771 Posts
The Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really nice

So are you saying that if you have a classroom filled with students and books to act as a guideline it would be better than having a teacher there?

Not your average students mind you, but people like us...you know geniuses.
The Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
RNB
El Topo

RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
What happens when people don't understand something (which is inevitable)? Those books won't teach them, it'll just tell them. A teacher is there because they could answer in a fluid way that a book couldn't.
We use textbooks, and that is the problem. I would prefer the books in which the thoughts originated.

Plus, why don't kids understand the thing in the first place? It is because they don't feel like thinking about it until they do understand. If you can reason, then you don't need a teacher being a medium. I am interested in having the students think for themselves.

Plus, why couldn't another student explain it if one couldn't grasp it? It would be much better because of the fact that student-teacher relations are a bit different than student-student.

Quote:
So are you saying that if you have a classroom filled with students and books to act as a guideline it would be better than having a teacher there?

Not your average students mind you, but people like us...you know geniuses.
There would be a moderator instead of a teacher. The reading material would already be done. The class would just be asking questions and discussing.

- Heraclitus
Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
The Madness
Passion Rules

The Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really nice

In my opinion a.k.a. fact, teachers nowadays lack one of the most essential qualities a teacher should posses, BURNING PASSION!

The passion to teach, the passion to learn, the passion to LOVE!

Teachers today follow their federally mandated pamphlets to make learning efficient and even among the students.

HA! Learning is anything but efficient, you learn with experience, you learn with your mistakes! No man, no woman, NO HUMAN LEARNS WITHOUT THE PASSION TO LEARN AND YOU CAN'T HAVE THE PASSION TO LEARN IF YOUR TEACHER LACKS THE PASSION TO TEACH!!!!

Life is far from even, MEN should be taught to be superior to others, not their equals! Only a fool truly believes that everyone is equal! If you lack the passion to burn, then you will fizzle out and DIE!

Only the strong survive in today's world and those who are strong have PASSION!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Madness For This Useful Post:
Isomorphic (08-20-2009), Miburo (08-19-2009), RNB (08-19-2009), Tzu Men (08-20-2009), UchihaTaijiya (08-20-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadness0308 View Post
In my opinion a.k.a. fact, teachers nowadays lack one of the most essential qualities a teacher should posses, BURNING PASSION!

The passion to teach, the passion to learn, the passion to LOVE!

Teachers today follow their federally mandated pamphlets to make learning efficient and even among the students.

HA! Learning is anything but efficient, you learn with experience, you learn with your mistakes! No man, no woman, NO HUMAN LEARNS WITHOUT THE PASSION TO LEARN AND YOU CAN'T HAVE THE PASSION TO LEARN IF YOUR TEACHER LACKS THE PASSION TO TEACH!!!!

Life is far from even, MEN should be taught to be superior to others, not their equals! Only a fool truly believes that everyone is equal! If you lack the passion to burn, then you will fizzle out and DIE!

Only the strong survive in today's world and those who are strong have PASSION!
Minus the useless emotion in your post, I agree with you. Students shouldn't be taught to be equal. They should be taught to always become better.

- Heraclitus
Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Explain exactly how that would work. Like do a mock scenario or some shit. Because I honestly don't see it.

I teach people how to wrestle. When people ask questions it's usually shit that either is completely irrelevant and retarded like "durr wouldn't it work better if *insert some dumbshit thing here that I have to waste time explaining exactly how it's fucking retarded*", or it's something I would have explained anyway. Note, these are people who were interested enough in wrestling to go out of their ways to sign up for that shit. They're not forced into it or anything.

Now, when I talk to people who are actually really knowledgeable on the subject then the question shit works great, I suppose. For people that don't know shit though, it seems like them just shutting the fuck up and paying attention is the way to go.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Now, when I talk to people who are actually really knowledgeable on the subject then the question shit works great, I suppose. For people that don't know shit though, it seems like them just shutting the fuck up and paying attention is the way to go.
For those who feel like acting like retards, this system isn't going to help them. It really shouldn't though, because they don't have the will to succeed in the first place. They should just undergo some training for a job or something.

I am against public education, so remember that here. People who want to learn this way would be able to. Those who want to would excel much better under this system than the current one though.

If the kids can't take the education seriously, then fuck them. That is how I see it. I don't understand why they should be able to drag down the producers in this society.

Also, I really don't see how I could do a mock scenario, but I will try:

- Student A says: This chapter brought up an interesting thought. Here's my thought (blah blah blah). What's your thought.
- Students B-Z can answer if they want to and include disagreements and such.
- Debate roars.
- Questions are drawn from the debate when it settles down.
- Questions are examined.
- Class is over. Homework is the next reading assignment. Discover your answer to the question if it remains unanswered or answer the question with a question.

- Heraclitus

Last edited by RNB; 08-19-2009 at 10:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RNB For This Useful Post:
The Madness (08-19-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
The Madness
Passion Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckboy View Post
Minus the useless emotion in your post, I agree with you. Students shouldn't be taught to be equal. They should be taught to always become better.
Useless emotion?

Emotions are one of the defining features of a man.

I will continue with a tale of the best teacher I have ever had.

Senior Year I had this class called, Ancient Civilizations.

It was an honors class, and the teachers name was Mr. Perry.

He fucking loved history. He had such a strong passion for it. He would get so into the lessons, and discussions, and videos, and power point presentations that the would assemble for us each day. We were never handed the actual textbook for the class. He taught us everything and more than what we 'needed' to know, and most of the people (non-fucktards) loved the class, we looked forward to it all day, and stayed late in the period to continue listening.

If you are too dense to see the point in that story, it's basically that that teacher was a truly great teacher who didn't follow this Scantron state approved test bullshit and just taught us everything he could in the time he had.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Madness For This Useful Post:
maddog (08-20-2009), Miburo (08-19-2009), Shrike (08-20-2009), UchihaTaijiya (08-20-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
We use textbooks, and that is the problem. I would prefer the books in which the thoughts originated.

Plus, why don't kids understand the thing in the first place? It is because they don't feel like thinking about it until they do understand. If you can reason, then you don't need a teacher being a medium. I am interested in having the students think for themselves.

Plus, why couldn't another student explain it if one couldn't grasp it? It would be much better because of the fact that student-teacher relations are a bit different than student-student.
Uh, no. Going back to your physics example, one wouldn't learn all the equations and shit therein without doing extensive study on all properties of matter in existence. You couldn't ask question to yourself to learn that stuff. You'd have to have prior knowledge to further your quest for learning. And books are less efficient versions of teachers (good teachers, anyway). Anything you could learn from a book can be taught to you and explained to you much more accurately by a teacher who knows what the fuck he's talking about.

Last edited by Trey; 08-19-2009 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trey For This Useful Post:
UchihaTaijiya (08-20-2009), zer0systm (08-20-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
The Madness
Passion Rules

Quote:
For those who feel like acting like retards, this system isn't going to help them. It really shouldn't though, because they don't have the will to succeed in the first place. They should just undergo some training for a job or something.

I am against public education, so remember that here. People who want to learn this way would be able to. Those who want to would excel much better under this system than the current one though.

If the kids can't take the education seriously, then fuck them. That is how I see it. I don't understand why they should be able to drag down the producers in this society.
I totally fucking agree.

I never really had to deal with these fuckfaces directly, besides when I had to stomp ass in gym, but I hated them.

The degenerate cockstains that walked around my school talking shit about how 'gay' school was and shit.

I wanted to Columbine the fuck out of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Madness For This Useful Post:
Miburo (08-19-2009), RNB (08-19-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
The Madness
Passion Rules

Quote:
Uh, no. Going back to your physics example, one wouldn't learn all the equations and shit therein without doing extensive study on all properties of matter in existence. You couldn't ask question to yourself to learn that stuff. You'd have to have prior knowledge to further your quest for learning. And books are less efficient versions of teachers (good teachers, anyway). Anything you could learn from a book can be taught to you and explained to you much more accurately by a teacher who knows what the fuck he's talking about.
He said you'd have moderators in the class. I'd assume to explain that shit to you.

Then again, he's also a little to philosophical for my taste.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
What makes a good teacher? The only thing they have one you is a degree that is usually based on knowing answers to questions in a particular subject. They might have a degree in teaching, but would they really have needed to get one if they went through the system I say is best?

The truth is, no teacher can tell you something you can't learn from a book. There is experiential knowledge that can't be learned from books, but a teacher can't tell you any better than a book can other than give you a faster route to answering questions.

And no, the moderators would not explain unless it was like a severe dead-spot.

Like I said, this is high school stuff. In elementary school you would be taught basic math. Once you are taught that stuff, you can learn everything else just by reading. You can do algebra simply by knowing how to inverses and basic reasoning.

- Heraclitus

Last edited by RNB; 08-19-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of

I can't learn math out of a book. It has to be shown to me. People learn in different ways, RNB. But I like your scenario for classes like literature, psychology and things of that nature.

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kina For This Useful Post:
UchihaTaijiya (08-20-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
Trey
Legendary

Quote:

Also, I really don't see how I could do a mock scenario, but I will try:

- Student A says: This chapter brought up an interesting thought. Here's my thought (blah blah blah). What's your thought.
- Students B-Z can answer if they want to and include disagreements and such.
- Debate roars.
- Questions are drawn from the debate when it settles down.
- Questions are examined.
- Class is over. Homework is the next reading assignment. Discover your answer to the question if it remains unanswered or answer the question with a question.
They already have shit like that: it's called a book club/study group. To have that as the main template for learning period could be counterproductive. The time it takes for you to learn something on your own through trial and error and book browsing could be cut in thirds if a knowledgeable teacher just told you everything about the subject. In the latter method, there is no doubt.

If I wanted to learn how to blacksmith, I wouldn't just start swinging a hammer at some metal. I'd seek a good one out who knows his shit and learn from him, because I'd be better and more efficient this way.

Self teaching (which I assume you're proposing) isn't a bad thing, it's just inefficient compared to learning from a source that already went through the trial and error.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trey For This Useful Post:
Kina (08-19-2009), Miburo (08-19-2009), Tzu Men (08-20-2009), UchihaTaijiya (08-20-2009), zer0systm (08-20-2009)