Narutard chat thread - Page 1106 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #16576
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Narutard chat thread

FUCK YEAH I HELPED SOMEONE. LOOK AT HOW AWESOME I AM EVERYONE.

I am glad to have been of assistance. What kind of DSLR are you working with? Do you own or use your schools?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
-SassyLady- (02-11-2013), 01purple (02-10-2013), Darth-Nero (02-10-2013), Eternal Solitude (02-10-2013), TheBaron (02-17-2013)

Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #16577
01purple
Owlett

Thanked 1,373 Times in 913 Posts
01purple is on a distinguished road01purple is on a distinguished road

I'm currently using a Canon Rebel. I'm borrowing it from the school and can only use it on campus, which sucks, considering that I only have that class for 50 minutes a day.

Oh, I found an old Pentax SLR film camera in my house yesterday with four different lenses... I'm not too familiar with film cameras, so I'm not sure how this works, but when I set it to manual focus, I have to turn the Av dial on the lens to adjust the aperture, but for some reason the rest of the camera's functions won't work unless the Av dial is set to "auto". Which is a pain in the ass. Do you know how to fix this problem?
01purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #16578
Mal
Scotch

Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

I'm really not too knowledgeable about film cameras either. If it's not too old though it may just have aperture controls on the camera, I have an older lens with an aperture ring but it only works on my DSLR when it's on "Auto" as well. I might be more helpful if you can post pics of the lens and camera in question.

Have you tried using any other brands of DSLR? Nikon, Sony, Pentax? I've got a (now broken) Nikon myself, I personally found it much more comfortable to hold and to have better menus than Canon.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #16579
01purple
Owlett

I'll try to do so, because I really have no idea how to fix it.

I used a lame Lumix DSLR, and it wasn't anything special, nor very easy to use. I haven't used anything other than the Rebel so far. Ah, I've heard that from a few people, actually. When comparing the two brands with point-and-shoots (I have a little Nikon Coolpix S6300 and a Canon Powershot A2200) I actually liked the Canon menu layout more than the Nikon's, but of course I can't decide which I like better until I use an actual DSLR in both brands. I'm saving up to get a camera this summer, but I'm still not sure which to choose from.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #16580
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
FUCK YEAH I HELPED SOMEONE. LOOK AT HOW AWESOME I AM EVERYONE.
Psh. I have a jar full of nickels for being helpful. You just have capslock.

So purple was being a teenager? OK. cool. Nothing new there - happy you're outgrowing it.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
-SassyLady- (02-11-2013), 01purple (02-10-2013), Eternal Solitude (02-10-2013), Mal (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #16581
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01purple View Post
Not random shit, working with DSLR's in my Digital Photo II class at school. And I don't quite have a portfolio thrown together yet, but I'll post one eventually.

Also, Mal, a couple years ago you recommended checking out some Scott Kelby books. His stuff is actually really helpful. Thanks.
His photography books are amazing. I was lucky enough to take a typography class at the World Photoshop Convention taught by Scott Kelby personally. Also took a photo retouching class via Lightroom and Photoshop by the man. He's pretty cool in person.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spiegel For This Useful Post:
Mal (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #16582
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01purple View Post
I'll try to do so, because I really have no idea how to fix it.

I used a lame Lumix DSLR, and it wasn't anything special, nor very easy to use. I haven't used anything other than the Rebel so far. Ah, I've heard that from a few people, actually. When comparing the two brands with point-and-shoots (I have a little Nikon Coolpix S6300 and a Canon Powershot A2200) I actually liked the Canon menu layout more than the Nikon's, but of course I can't decide which I like better until I use an actual DSLR in both brands. I'm saving up to get a camera this summer, but I'm still not sure which to choose from.
What kind of price range do you think you'll be going for?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #16583
01purple
Owlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
Psh. I have a jar full of nickels for being helpful. You just have capslock.

So purple was being a teenager? OK. cool. Nothing new there - happy you're outgrowing it.
Yes, precisely. And being a poser is only fun to an extent, so around last year I realized how shockingly dumb it is to pretend to be someone else. Besides, I was like 13 or 14 when I joined this forum so it makes sense that I was a retard. XD

Spiegel: You actually got to MEET him? Woah, that's seriously fantastic. He seems like he'd be a really fun person to hang around with. He writes so casually, it makes it 98707352 easier to understand things while also making his books seem inviting. I wish I could take a REAL photo class... Though I get four college credits out of this class at the end of the year, so that's pretty great.

Mal: It depends on whether or not I can get the job I've applied for. If I get hired, I want to get something maybe in the $500-$800 range, plus whatever I need to set aside to get a bit of gear to start with and possibly another lens. I'm very willing to invest in an expensive camera, but if I don't start making real money soon I'll probably be in or less than the $200~$400 price range, which likely would have to cover everything else I get as well. I still need to decide on a camera though, and I'm not too sure how much the good ones run for.

Last edited by 01purple; 02-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 01purple For This Useful Post:
Mal (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #16584
Mal
Scotch

Well I'm trying to save up for the $3,000 Nikon D800, but I know people who have the D3100 and D5100, which are about $300-$500 so you can get a decent camera for a nice price. That's probably a good place to start, but keep in mind that the newer, less expensive Nikons won't support auto focus on older lenses. Some of those old lenses are really nice, so I would still recommend going with Nikon and eventually getting a nicer camera like the D7000 (or it's eventual replacement) if you really get into photography.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
01purple (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #16585
01purple
Owlett

Oh, that IS a nice price... And it would probably be a good idea for me to start with something that isn't terribly fancy until I have a good foundation and enough knowledge to really use a nicer, more expensive model. I'll definitely look into the Nikons when I begin my camera hunt. Why can't the newer cameras support older lenses? I thought one of the best charms of DSLRs was the interchangeable lenses, so you'd think people would be upset that they have to buy new lenses as well as the new camera... Thanks for the tips! Online sources are helpful but I personally learn a lot more from actually speaking to someone. I'm really interested in photography and would like to make a career out of it if possible, if I don't go into a science field.

Oh wow, I just looked up the D7000. Expensive, but rightfully so! That's a gorgeous piece of camera. ;w;
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #16586
Mal
Scotch

The D800 is essentially the D7000 but with a larger sensor, meaning higher imagine quality and significantly improved low-light performance.

As for the lenses, older AF lenses had the gearing but used a motor built into the camera. However, newer AF-S have the autofocus motor built into the lens so the newer cameras don't have the motor built into them anymore. As a result, you have to manually focus some lenses on some cameras, but other than that most standard Nikon lenses will work on newer cameras regardless of age.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #16587
01purple
Owlett

I looked up the D800 as well. I like that one even more... $3,000! That is probably the next step up after I buy and learn how to use a camera well. Are there any other benefits to a larger sensor? If one was taking more outdoor shots in good daylight, would that be a benefit?

Ah, I see. Is focusing manually a bad thing? The Pentax camera I found has an AF function, but most of the focusing was done by turning the dials on the actual lens and pushing a ring up and down to zoom (which is a lot of fun!). Do newer DSLR's do that also, or is it all autofocus?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #16588
Mal
Scotch

A larger sensor basically just gets you more detail and more light. Extra detail is usually translated into extra mega pixels, which is useful for landscape photography or for large prints. Generally landscapes are done at a narrow aperture (f8-f11) so extra light can be useful if you're doing late evening/night landscape photography.

Autofocus does a really good job of getting sharp focus really quickly, so it's more accurate and significantly quicker than focusing manually. Zoom is always operated manually with the lens ring, and manual focusing can be done as well if you want. Some lenses have set focus gearing and an auto/manual switch, but some have gearing set up so you can use auto focus and then manually adjust the focus with no need for a switch.
01purple (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #16589
01purple
Owlett

Ohh, okay. So, do cameras with larger sensors always take better quality photos than those with smaller ones, or does it depend on what the other settings are? Also, while further meddling with my Pentax, no matter what I tried, the image was ALWAYS underexposed. I couldn't get it to brighten up at all. I tried changing the ISO and shutter speed and it still did nothing.

I can see why the autofocus would be convenient, then... Especially if there wasn't enough time to focus manually and you needed to shoot fast, I'd imagine. Does photo quality go down when you zoom in to the subject? Suppose there's a bird on a roof that's so far away you have to zoom in to the maximum. Would there be a lot of noise or would it look the same as if it wasn't zoomed in? When using little point-and-shoot cameras the quality does seem to go down slightly, but I haven't tested this on a DSLR, so perhaps it's different?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #16590
Mal
Scotch

Larger sensors are stupid expensive, no manufacturer will bother putting a larger sensor into a camera that will take shitty photos.

Zooming way in on point-and-shoot cameras usually means you go into digital zoom, which is just like zooming in with Photoshop. Doesn't work. Zooming with DSLRs is entirely optical so the worst you can expect is a little bit of distortion, mostly around the edges of the image, but it depends on te quality of the lens.
01purple (02-11-2013)