Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amp...ding-24-songs/

Quote:
What's the value of a song? Jammie Thomas-Rasset has spent the last few years in court debating that question. The Minnesota mother of four is being penalized for illegally downloading and sharing 24 songs on the peer-to-peer file-sharing network Kazaa in 2006, but how much she owes the record labels has been in question. The jury in her third trial has just ruled that Thomas-Rasset should pay Capitol Records $1.5 million, CNET reports, which breaks down to $62,500 per song. It's a heavy penalty considering the 24 tunes would only cost approximately $24 on iTunes, which was Thomas-Rasset' argument, too. .

Thanks to Thomas-Rasset's colorful case, she has become the public face of the record industry's battle with illegal downloaders. In her first trial, in 2007, the jury demanded she pay $222,000 for violating the copyright on more than 1,700 songs by Green Day, Aerosmith and Richard Marx, to name a few. (Marx said he was "ashamed" to be associated with the "farcical" prosecution of an illegal downloader.) Thomas-Rasset maintained she wasn't the computer user who did the file sharing, and her legal team cited an error in jury instruction to secure a second trial in 2009 that ended with a much harsher result: an astronomical fine of $1.92 million. However, earlier this year a U.S. District Court judge found the $1.92 million penalty against Thomas-Rasset to be "monstrous and shocking" and "gross injustice" before lowering it to $54,000, or $2,250 a song. Thomas-Rasset and her legal team decided to appeal that decision, too..

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the organization that represents the four major record labels, was pleased by the most recent decision, even if it has no intention to collect the $1.5 million from Thomas-Rasset. "Now with three jury decisions behind us along with a clear affirmation of Ms. Thomas-Rasset's willful liability, it is our hope that she finally accepts responsibility for her actions," the RIAA said in a statement. Earlier this year, the RIAA offered Thomas-Rasset the opportunity to end the legal battle for $25,000 and an admission of guilt; Thomas-Rasset declined. .

Burying a Midwestern mom in insurmountable debt isn't the best publicity move, so rather than argue the labels are entitled to the cash, the RIAA has sought to make this trial into a cautionary tale for anyone considering illegally downloading music -- a reminder that there are penalties. But as the constantly declining weekly Nielsen SoundScan sales figures demonstrate, nothing seems to have deterred music fans from stealing rather than purchasing songs and albums. And in a digital world now dominated by Bit Torrent and Rapidshare, a trial over a music-sharing dinosaur like Kazaa seems nothing but antiquated. (Last month, after a decade of illegal file sharing, peer-to-peer service LimeWire was shut down by the government, much to the surprise of the millions who thought LimeWire had faded years ago into the Internet ether.) .

Still, Thomas-Rasset and her legal team are already making plans to appeal, setting the stage for a fourth trial. "The fight continues," promised Thomas-Rasset's lawyer Kiwi Camara. Even if Thomas-Rasset were to win the next trial, the RIAA would likely appeal that decision to ensure that copyright infringement without penalization won't happen. This story has the potential to drag on well into the next decade -- when for $1.5 million, all of Thomas-Rasset's four kids could finish law school and take up the fight on her behalf.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minnesota Mom Hit With $1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

Wait. They're taking a mother of four to court, costing her god knows how much in legal fees alone, over sharing 24 songs? And then say it's to set an example for others?

Wow. All that does is make me go from not feeling bad at all for downloading and sharing shit (Because I see nothing morally wrong with fucking sharing) to making me want to go download and share shit I don't even want, purely out of spite.

And fuck yarrr! to her for battling to the bitter end, like a true pirate.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-06-2010), ask me anything (11-05-2010), KillerNN (11-05-2010), Kinako (11-05-2010), kluang (11-05-2010), Numinous (11-05-2010), Scientia (11-05-2010), Sensei-Q (11-06-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-06-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

This is just ridiculous.

A million and an half dollars caution over uploading in a site (that isn't being cautioned for some stupid reason) 24 songs? And songs that, if bought online, would probably cost 20 bucks? Really, RIAA?! Aren't the millions on mainstream garbage attempts of music enough for your pockets?

And the initial price wasn't that sane either: 220 000$? This whole court process shouldn't even cost more than 300$ to the poor woman.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-05-2010), Sensei-Q (11-06-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,597 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

She should go on every news outlet she can and just to tell everyone how much of a douchebag the record industry is. Shame those motherfuckers into submission.

Find out who the people are that are suing her, and go to their children school and tell the kids their father(s) are evil, maniacal, terrorists that worship satan, and drink the blood of babies. What? A little too much?

nah

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Kinako
Chuunin

Thanked 1,443 Times in 684 Posts
Kinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enoughKinako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Wait. They're taking a mother of four to court, costing her god knows how much in legal fees alone, over sharing 24 songs? And then say it's to set an example for others?

Wow. All that does is make me go from not feeling bad at all for downloading and sharing shit (Because I see nothing morally wrong with fucking sharing) to making me want to go download and share shit I don't even want, purely out of spite.

And fuck yarrr! to her for battling to the bitter end, like a true pirate.
Exactly. That whole thing is some straight bullshit. That situation makes me wanna do this.

FEAR THE REAPER
Kinako is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kinako For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
KillerNN
Λυρικής Σκέψεις

Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,967 Posts
KillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura aboutKillerNN has a spectacular aura about

Because HR said we are followers, and you guys are saying that she should be let off the hook for downloading 1.5 mil. in fines, I'm gonna say NO! MAKE HER PAY OR THROW THE BITCH IN JAIL!

Kidding, what the fuck are they thinking? Mother of 4, paying that much for 24 songs. Its fucking disgusting. Even the fucking artist she illegally downloaded said he was ashamed to be part of such a dumbfucking trial.

FUCK THE SYSTEM! < sorry gaiz. i got excited. =/

This is what the devil plays before he goes to sleep
some food for thought, this food for death
go ahead and fucking eat
my fathers dead, but I don't know we'll never fucking meet
I cut my wrists and play piano because I'm so depressed
somebody call the pastor this bastard is so possessed
this meetings just begun, nigga I'm satan's son..
KillerNN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerNN For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
a trial over a music-sharing dinosaur like Kazaa seems nothing but antiquated
And sueing a mother of four with 1.5 million is a good move?

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,597 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Look, let's ignore the whole "who's fault it was that files are out there" and "is downloading wrong" argument. Under US law it is wrong. Done. But what is it really? For me, if you aren't sharing, it is theft. In this case, it is Petty Theft. From a Californian Defense Lawyers website:

Quote:
Petty theft involves the taking of property whose value is less than $400. If you are charged and convicted of misdemeanor petty theft, you may be sentenced to up to 6 months in jail and fines ranging from $50- $1,000.

If the value of the property taken is less than $50, you may be charged with a simple infraction. An infraction is less in severity than a misdemeanor and the penalty for infraction petty theft is a fine less than $250.
How you go from petty theft to $1.5 million is beyond me. The US legal system should not allow the music industry to make these sorts of examples.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-06-2010), Mal (11-07-2010), Miburo (11-06-2010), stubborn_d0nkey (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Totally guessing since it makes no logical sense either way, but I'm guess they don't consider it as petty theft due to the whole sharing part of it. Since you're sharing it with a fuckload of people, it's worse than just stealing a CD or some shit. So you're like, an illegal distributor of copyrighted material or some fucking thing like that. I dunno.

If we are to focus on legality instead of morality, then legally isn't not actually even considered theft really. It's copyright infringement. Which, by totally bullshitted unprovable numbers, loses companies millions of dollars a year. And shit. So if you have 24 songs sitting there being downloaded by hundreds of people, then you just dicked those companies out of hundreds of sales. Assuming everyone who downloaded shit would have bought the same shit if they couldn't download it, which is a moronic as fuck assumption to make...

Yeah, it's stupid.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-06-2010), KillerNN (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

I think the defendants stance, based on the article, that she isn't sharing only taking them from a massive share system. The record companies are trying to make the point that any download is equal to the entire sharing system. They also say they don't want the money, just to make an example.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
They also say they don't want the money, just to make an example.
They want to make an example AND the money, because such pleasantry along with their cause is too tempting to let go. Or else they wouldn't go from 220,000$ to a 1,5 million $.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
ACt
Heart Wizard

Then is this just the author's interpretation:

Quote:
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the organization that represents the four major record labels, was pleased by the most recent decision, even if it has no intention to collect the $1.5 million from Thomas-Rasset. "Now with three jury decisions behind us along with a clear affirmation of Ms. Thomas-Rasset's willful liability, it is our hope that she finally accepts responsibility for her actions," the RIAA said in a statement. Earlier this year, the RIAA offered Thomas-Rasset the opportunity to end the legal battle for $25,000 and an admission of guilt; Thomas-Rasset declined. .

Burying a Midwestern mom in insurmountable debt isn't the best publicity move, so rather than argue the labels are entitled to the cash, the RIAA has sought to make this trial into a cautionary tale for anyone considering illegally downloading music -- a reminder that there are penalties.
They are making an example. The money they are concerned with isn't from the woman but in the actual industry. By making the punishment jump to such a huge amount, it add publicity and will scare off some who care to download.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Sensei-Q
✪✪✪✪✪

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,726 Posts
Sensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura about

Cool story. To compensate for these kind of cases, mass piracy is out there before it even started. They be losing potential incomings anyway. Greedy motherfucking bastards.
KillerNN (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,856 Posts
ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice

What the fuck? The mom isn't supposed to pay that much. If she downloaded 24 songs and then shared to other people, she isn't at fault for what happens afterwards. If each song is $20, then that would only add to $480. Did they multiply the damn thing by $3125? What type of example will that set? It's not going to help even if they don't plan on collecting. This will just stop a small percentage of Pirating temporarily, at best.

Last edited by ninjalostboy95; 11-06-2010 at 09:12 PM.
ninjalostboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjalostboy95 For This Useful Post:
KillerNN (11-06-2010)
Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post
I think the defendants stance, based on the article, that she isn't sharing only taking them from a massive share system. The record companies are trying to make the point that any download is equal to the entire sharing system. They also say they don't want the money, just to make an example.
Not to nitpick, but I didn't get that from the article. Except the last part. I see it as the record industry wants to use the case to set an example to anyone who shares music (Copyright infringement), even only a couple of songs. Basically they're thinking this will make people shit their pants and stop downloading shit. And probably to set a legal precedent too, I'm sure. And her defense is basically that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Or, in other words, it's fucking ridiculous. Which I'm sure any remotely reasonable person reading this would agree.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-07-2010), ask me anything (11-07-2010), Axiom (11-09-2010), ninjalostboy95 (11-06-2010), Sensei-Q (11-06-2010)