How things have change... - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Graphics Design

Graphics Design Show off your works of graphics in here, form clans, or ask for help from members!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

Gemakai is an unknown quantity at this point
How things have change...

Back in the old days (roughly several montsh ago), GFX artists new and experienced lived in a somewhat harmonious setting where things like Blending, Renders, and Text didn't really bring a 8/10 type of sig down to a 4/10 and have it recieve comments like 'ugly times ten' (Sorry for the reference Corbenk). Regardless of this, beginning Graphic Artists of this forums were encouraged to become better, while admiring the works of more experienced artists. Back then, so long as the sig looked good, it was well liked. These were times that I've always thought to be more... calmer, less agressive, and just plain... more likable.

Nowadays, most new people in the Graphic Design department are looked down for their wanting to try new things for their lack of brushing or knowledge of how to perform things like Blending and Rendering. Now, it's almost like most of the experienced artists want everyone to follow the method of: Brush, Color Balance, cut and Blend the stock in some specific way (which I've yet to discover), and then use brightness/contrast, but not too bright or saturated, and lastly blend the text in a font that everyone would like... And even if a artist performs all these, (s)he is still not likely to get a 10(+)/10 because some artist will point out say something like 'the background looks ugly' or 'It's not blended' even if you know for a fact that it is.

All I want to know is... what made this change come about? Was it the coming of a group of members or was there some rule established that I was unaware of? I apologize if this rant is in the wrong section, but I imagine that since it's related to Graphic Design it should placed here. I've been wanting to speak my opinion for some time, but when I do, certain individuals take their time to IM me just to say that "No one wants to hear your bitching." Personally, I see that I'm breaking no rules so I shall say as I please so long as it's not flaming... and btw, to that person who told me to keep my opinions to myself. If you can't take a joke, get out of the nuclear reactor.

Thank you.

The Following May Contain Themes that would taint your little mind into questioning your life and beliefs and possibly causing you to jump off a cliff... you poor hopeless sap.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
corbenk

"Ugly times ten" Hahaha... Ah,good times..

I belive what you are referring to is something humans and all animals have done since the dawn of time.

There has always been the "elite" who set the standards, and unfortunately, there always will be. I have noticed this, not only in graphics, but in life itself.

In my school those who were original we bullied, beat up and, in somecases, had feco-matter dumped on their heads. (my personal favorite) All of this seems rather sadistic, but it is simply human nature.

There is one set style, and if you want to be accepted you must follow it.

God I hate humans...

Or.... It could be that when some people try new things they do not do a very good job, so people decide that that one style is ugly...

Last edited by corbenk; 07-19-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

But the thing is that things weren't always like that here. It just seems that the majority of the forum has begun to revolve on how good everyone's graphic skill is and they've all began challenging eachother...

The Following May Contain Themes that would taint your little mind into questioning your life and beliefs and possibly causing you to jump off a cliff... you poor hopeless sap.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
xXGaaraXx
Demon Days

xXGaaraXx is an unknown quantity at this point
k .....kinda hypocritical...'experienced artists want everyone to follow the method' b/c i been told to change my style many times...ppl r trying to force sumtin new on me.....

'looked down for their wanting to try new things' lol....i think more of the inexperienced r at fault here...wen sum1 experienced trys sumtin new the inexperienced dont kno enuff to appreciate it...and cus it gets bad ratings the new style is scrapped....but i hav to admit sumtimes things dont look good and shld be scrapped

'(s)he is still not likely to get a 10(+)/10' no1 shld ever[theoretically] receive a 10/10 b/c nuttin is ever going to be perfect....
alot of this misconception comes from inexperienced ppl freaking out at comments and not realizing wat ppl r telling them....yes i admit sumtime certain ppl do say comments that dont help....but if a inexperienced person saw a comment like 'blending is horrible' they would focus more on the fact that sum1 called there stuff horrible and not on the fact that they should try improving it.....

Your thought process is the one of the modern all accepting times....which doesnt work...every1 will never be nice all the time....there will always be sum1 better than another person...

'experienced artists want everyone to follow the method' back to this....this is a another misconception.....there is always more than one way of doing sumtin....but there is always a more rite way....the experienced ppl r jus trying to tell u wat is more rite...u can always experiment....but if that experiment dusnt look good...u r gunna hear that...it dusnt matter abt the work its the finished piece that matters....anyway the way u described dusnt even match a lot of my sigs....

'It's not blended' even if you know for a fact that it is.'...rofl...well that shows that it isnt blended well enuff.....a person rating a sig only makes an observation of the finishsed object they do not hav the psd to see the work that went into it...as i've herd many times....it dusnt matter abt the work that went into it its the finish object that matters....so wen sum1 tells u sumtin...u listen b/c they r observing the finished piece....
-ignore the typos and bad grammar....tis but the ranting of a tired frustrated person-

Last edited by xXGaaraXx; 07-21-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Dark Itachi
~Reaper Of Squirrels~

Dark Itachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Gaara pretty much hit the nail on the head. Nothing good can last forever, when people get better they become more competitive to prove they're better, thats just how it is.

When you say people get put down for trying new things, I don't see the way you see it, I'm not saying your wrong but, my new naruto and Ichimaru sig, for example, is a new style I'm trying, I was praised, mostly, for it, so comes my point that you can try new things, but if you don't do it right, then thats what they'll say, It's not BECAUSE you tried something new, It's because you didn't execute the new thing very well.

Last edited by Dark Itachi; 07-21-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
corbenk

What the hell?! Much of what Gaara posted was my post reworded, and explained more complexly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark.Itatchi
When you say people get put down for trying new things, I don't see the way you see it, I'm not saying your wrong but, my new naruto and Ichimaru sig, for example, is a new style I'm trying, I was praised, mostly, for it, so comes my point that you can try new things, but if you don't do it right, then thats what they'll say, It's not BECAUSE you tried something new, It's because you didn't execute the new thing very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbenk
Or.... It could be that when some people try new things they do not do a very good job [Because of a lack of experience], so people decide that that one style is ugly...
The animosity I feel towards you people right now is.... Is enough to make me explode. (By the way Itatchi, your post was more or less a giant run on sentence.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemakai
But the thing is that things weren't always like that here. It just seems that the majority of the forum has begun to revolve on how good everyone's graphic skill is and they've all began challenging eachother...
Yes, that is true, and once again it is a reoccurring event.

What you are referring to is at times called machoism (male superiority). If you look around you will notice many signatures show how many time one has "won" or "lost" a graphics battle. Battling is a way to prove you superiority to you Kohai (Japanese term for one of a lesser position).

Last edited by corbenk; 07-21-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
Dark Itachi
~Reaper Of Squirrels~

well In that case it seems to prove we are all out of arguements, we've pretty much posted what needs to be said, and to continue we need Gemakai to comment...
Old 07-23-2005, 12:39 AM   #8
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

*sighs* Whatever... I guess what I'm really trying to say is... though all of you are good at what you do. One of you just seems so negative that it simply pisses me off. You talk like you're always right, you never say anything complimentive (is that a word? It is now!) And frankly... this person has simply HORRIBLE Charisma...

I think you all know who I'm talking about.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:17 AM   #9
Dark Itachi
~Reaper Of Squirrels~

Just in case any of you missed that its me. rofl, anyways, Its not so much negative as it is I'm trying to help, when I say, "blending is horrible" that means work on the blending. I don't think I'm always right btw, where'd you get that?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

An occasional "Nice job on the what's-it-called" is really what people need along with the criticism. That way you know what you're strengths are and what your weaknesses are and what to work on.

Example for you, I have no doubt that your skills in blending and color balancing and blahdy blahdy blah is all great, but your weakness is originality. Most of your works (not the recent vector ones) were practically that same style of bg again and again with a different stock and color balance.

Stating a person's weakness is dandy, but for the sake of... well... sake! Give them credit on what they did well.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:25 AM   #11
Dark Itachi
~Reaper Of Squirrels~

lol It's just how I critisize, I say what you need to work on, I've had to say that twice. Besides, I stopped posting in your threads 6 weeks or so ago, whats your problem now?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #12
Rurouni-Jin
Hitokiri

Rurouni-Jin is an unknown quantity at this point
Its not that you critisize, you insult completely 2 different arguements.

To use downloaded brushes is a sin. God shall smite thee and impose the will of the graphic artists.
Apocalypse: 66:61
"Make Way For The Bad Guy" -Scarface
Sigs Made By Me - Rurouni-Jin A.K.A Saiya-Jin
Old 07-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #13
Dark Itachi
~Reaper Of Squirrels~

I've explained this to, when I say, "blending is horrible," from my point of view, you should work on blending. Read the above posts, it helps.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:32 AM   #14
Rurouni-Jin
Hitokiri

Rurouni-Jin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have and do think you should work more on ur social skills....so not many people mistake you or magically read ur mind.

To use downloaded brushes is a sin. God shall smite thee and impose the will of the graphic artists.
Apocalypse: 66:61
"Make Way For The Bad Guy" -Scarface
Sigs Made By Me - Rurouni-Jin A.K.A Saiya-Jin
Old 07-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #15
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

I never asked you stop posting in my threads. I never asked you to do anything before now.

And your way of critisizing really makes you look like a asshole. Honestly, I mean if I nitpicked at everything that was wrong with a person and never brought up anything good about them, who knows what that'll do to one's self esteem. All I ask is reflect on the good things, not just the bad! You sure as hell have Yang, now put some Ying into it!

Closed Thread