Games and all things related - Page 69 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #1021
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about
Re: Games and all things related

Finally got around to seeing the gameplay footage for ME3. Looks pretty, at least. I'm optimistic that it'll be badass as all Hell, but my hopes in BioWare have been tainted by the abomination that is DA2.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #1022
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

I actually have Steam. Got it just so I could buy KotOR. I'm rarely on it though.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trey For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #1023
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Get on it bro.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJXuunbfW58 <- New DMC gameplay.

ACt - I just checked out who Thane was and saw he was that big eyes green alien from the ME2 PC splash screen that I previously thought was a female. Gonna go after Grunt now and get him on my team, Mordin is awesome to talk to. I might just keep him with me instead of Garrus purely for the commentary.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #1024
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

He is the very model of a scientist salarian.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #1025
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

KOTOR 2 will be much better without the cut content. The same goes for NWN2. Why Obsidian keep cutting content I dont know. Is there a time limit for a game or something?

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #1026
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,711 Times in 3,841 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

KOTOR 2's content was cut because BioWare didn't have enough time to put it all in. Chris Avellone, the Producer, went on record to say he wished they had more time to work on KOTOR 2.
kael03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #1027
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Obsidian worked on KotOR II. But, in short, yes, there are deadlines to make and KotOR II's team was cutting it short. That's part of Obsidian's problem, really. Their writing is good, and so all of the subplots get axed when the moneymakers are like, "Fuck you and your need to satisfy our customers. We need money now!" The ending of KotOR II was horribly rushed and hardly satisfying.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #1028
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

LN pretty much said the gist of it. It's pretty daunting how much was cut from the game. This Let's Play Walkthrough is very thorough, and talks about much of the content cut from the game, as well as discusses the storyline, characters, level design, pretty much everything in the game. It's awesome. If you have time, and enjoyed KotOR2, or want an example of the vileness of LucasArts' studio, give it a look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trey For This Useful Post:
kluang (06-10-2011), Miburo (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #1029
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Hm, KotOR was better than KotOR II in my opinion.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
kluang (06-10-2011), Miburo (06-10-2011), Shrike (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #1030
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

That is so true

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #1031
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

I find it hard to compare them, actually.

KotOR is very BioWare, with their silly concepts of "hope" and "redemption" and "justice." Plot twist was good, made me feel like more of a badass. Music was superb. Killing Tusken Raiders was very satisfying. Also, you could find Mandalorian Neo-Crusader armor on Rakata Prime. Epic as fuck. The end battle with Malak was all kinds of kick ass, especially if you had Drain Field so you could cockblock Malak's pussy shit tactics and become a Force god. Thing is, it was way too easy going down the dark side path. I felt no remorse for starting riots, manipulating minds, or otherwise being a total prick. Only a few characters were thoroughly fleshed out, like Carth, Bastila, Jolee (bit of a stretch), and Canderous. The others were cliche Star Wars (Zaalbaar was Chewie; Mission was a Leia/Han hybrid; T3-M4 was R2-D2; HK-47, while hilarious, was a singleminded killing machine that hated organic meatbags; Juhani was a sexually repressed and angsty Jedi--like Anakin!). Still, being a dark sider was awesome in that there was no shortage of enemies who deserved to be butchered.

KotOR II, on the other hand, was very Obsidian. It was very grimdark and desolate and any flickering light of hope was snuffed out by realization that there was hardly a way to "win" in each situation. Being uber-evil was a bit painful because the decisions you had to make were sometimes subtle, and almost always they had me thinking, "I should be ashamed of myself..." as I laid siege to a conclave of poor refugees and farmers. The subplots were usually fleshed out, but again, the cut content cut many of them short, especially the romance plots. Kreia is by far my favorite Star Wars villain because she isn't entirely evil, just cynical, bitter, manipulative, and trying to serve justice to the Force. Mandalore was a real bro, and I felt obligated to hunt down the Mandalorians scattered around the galaxy to strengthen his horde. And kicking the shit out of Nihlus and Sion was oh so satisfying. But then the screaming flaws were characters like Atton, Bao-dur, and the Disciple, who had boring personalities and ticks. The whole game had an unrealized potential, and Peragus is the only reason I don't replay the game on a constant basis. Just annoying as all Hell. Even so, a much more cathartic feeling being a light sider than a dark sider, I feel.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #1032
Trey
Legendary

Ohshi-LN dropping KotOR knowledge all up in this fucker. I won't compare the two because I haven't finished the original KotOR yet, but I can talk at length about The Sith Lords.

Luckily, LN handled most of it. But I disagree with some things. First, I can understand where he's coming from by not liking to replay Peragus, but I look at it from a design standpoint, and Obsidian was really going for a horror feel. It's very slow paced, very deliberate, and spooky as shit. You have to piece clues together like you're fucking Scooby-Doo, and deal with shadowy antagonists who are revealed at the end of the level-arc. At first I hated it, but on my second playthrough, I respected it for what it was, and came to enjoy it.

Also, yeah, you can wave off Atton and Bao-Dur's personalities as boring, but their real depth comes from their interactions with the Exile, and their pasts. They really showed different perspectives on the Mandolorian Wars, and different morals that most RPGs don't even touch. The beauty of KotOR II is that you get out of the character(s) exactly what you put into them. Which brings me to the Influence system used, which in my opinion was the most organic, believable, and satisfying "moral RPG system" in the entire genre. Why RPG devs didn't just outright ape that system is beyond me.

But yeah, Disciple is all around terrible. And Kreia is very well written (my personal best written VG character of all time).

God damn, fuck yeah KotOR II. Gonna play it again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trey For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-10-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #1033
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
First, I can understand where he's coming from by not liking to replay Peragus, but I look at it from a design standpoint, and Obsidian was really going for a horror feel. It's very slow paced, very deliberate, and spooky as shit. You have to piece clues together like you're fucking Scooby-Doo, and deal with shadowy antagonists who are revealed at the end of the level-arc. At first I hated it, but on my second playthrough, I respected it for what it was, and came to enjoy it.
Yeah, I get that. But it never grabbed my attention, is all. I feel like I'm going through the motions of every other RPG where you have to be careful at first, since you're low level and the enemies are above you, but once you level up twice you slice through everything like a warm knife through butter. Chillin' on the Harbinger is pretty cool, though. I took my time going through there, as opposed to the underbelly of Peragus' mines.

Quote:
Also, yeah, you can wave off Atton and Bao-Dur's personalities as boring, but their real depth comes from their interactions with the Exile, and their pasts. They really showed different perspectives on the Mandolorian Wars, and different morals that most RPGs don't even touch. The beauty of KotOR II is that you get out of the character(s) exactly what you put into them. Which brings me to the Influence system used, which in my opinion was the most organic, believable, and satisfying "moral RPG system" in the entire genre. Why RPG devs didn't just outright ape that system is beyond me.
Atton's appeal comes out of hanging around in Nar Shadda. Past catching up with him, bounty hunters on your tail, et cetera. Pretty badass shit. But after that, especially after dealing with his ass long enough to make him a Jedi, I'm done with him. I only bro out with Bao-Dur on Telos as you cut a swathe of destruction through the Czerka facility. I really liked his banter with Mandalore while on the Ebon Hawk, though. I never managed to get him to become a Jedi, mostly because the dialogue get's glitched so I can't talk to him about anything besides "MAKE ME SHIELDS!" or "TALK TO YOU LATER, MAN!"

Oh, man, the Influence system. Love it and hate it so much. Love it because yes, it's god-tier. Hate it because fuck you, Kreia, never approving of shit I do. Dragon Age: Origins has a decently good Approval system, but it was way too obvious how to get high approval. In KotOR II I liked how vague some characters act in certain situations (again, fuck you, Kreia).

Quote:
God damn, fuck yeah KotOR II. Gonna play it again.
I found my copy of KotOR. I might find my KotOR II laying around, but if not I can borrow it from a friend. Plus, now I can mod the shit out of both and maximize my gaming pleasure.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #1034
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,471 Times in 3,663 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Oh man. Anyone with a 360, I totally insist you play Deadly Premonition. If you're a fan of cult Japanese games, or just plain awesome stories, this game is amazing.

It's like David Lynch's Twin Peaks, meets Tarantino, crossed with Resident Evil and Shenmue. It's... there's not really anything else like it.

Oh, and I ought to mention, the production values are terrible. The game, from a technical standpoint, is terrible. The combat is flawed and repetitive, and the whole thing looks like it was made for the PS2. But it is seriously one of the best games I have played in a long, long time.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news...iew.php?page=1

SA pretty much get it spot on.

Last edited by Jaxon; 06-11-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
ACt (06-11-2011), Demi-God (06-11-2011), Mal (06-11-2011), Miburo (06-12-2011), Servo (06-12-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #1035
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,597 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

holy crap greatest thing ever! The internet has been won.

(In case you need explanation: Twin Peaks.)
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (06-12-2011), Miburo (06-12-2011)