F.E.A.R. Preview - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Gaming

Gaming Talk about your favorite video and pc games and console in this section!

Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

Gemakai is an unknown quantity at this point
F.E.A.R. Preview

First Person Shooters. Games in which you the player look through your character's eyes and live out intense situations, most of which include guns. Horror Games. Games in which you travel through the various levels or the big haunted whatever that's filled with scares and jumps. Usually, it contains haunting music or creepy laughter or moaning that makes you feel very uncomfortable. What F.E.A.R is is a combination of these two genres.

So I played F.E.A.R. (short for First Encounter Assault Recon) today and I was quite impressed with the graphical detail and voice acting. When you start, you given a little back story about some insane guy who hears little voices that tell him to kill everyone and that's always a nice thing to do. Not only that but he has an entire military battalion of super soldiers to follow him thanks to some psychic progam. Your mission, which you have no choice but to accept, is to move in and quell the insuing chaos. Yet as you enter the complex through the sewer, you realize that more in happening than you know. While going through a tunnel, you hear a haunting moan rush past you and you find yourself very edgy. (I was jumping at a couple of rats) Then you go to the end of the tunnel and right before you reach it, there's a ghostly girl (like 'The Ring' ghostly) walking right in front of you. Now there's a reason to be creeped out. I search the area for her, but she was no where to be found. However, I did find the skeleton of some hapless soul coated with blood. Just lovely.

Finally, I left the sewers and entered the Military Complex with my trusty pistol in hand. Clearly, my presense had been detected and they were on alert for me. I moved in and popped the first guard right in the head, using the 'shift' key to aim down my sight. My bullet wasn't silent like a ninja though and another guard in a little control room nearby, busted out of the window and began shooting at me. Now that he knew where I was, shooting him became far more difficult as he dodged and took cover behind metal crates. Fortunately, I filled him with enough lead to keep him down. I picked up a couple of first aid kits and some armor to recover what I lost and moved on. As I entered the next area, I was in for quite a rush as I was spotted immediately and I had to take cover. This is when I was introduced to another feature of the game. Ultra Reflex which is really another way to say 'SloMo'. By hitting 'ctrl' I activate it and I and aimed down my assault rifle, sending a flurry of powered bullets into my enemies, yet my Reflexes only lasted so long. Eventually, I resorted back to taking cover and shooting small bursts at my enemies' chests until my Reflexes bar filled back up.

It was about this time that I realized 'Hey... these bullets really HURT!' To my surprise, when I started with 100 health and 100 Armor, by this point, I had 56 health and 0 armor. I took a mental note that I couldn't run out with gun blazing so much. After dealing with the last of the solders in the current area, I took my time get to the next, searching for any weapons I could use or any first aid packs (which could be used at any time to restore 50 health). Then I creeped up to the corner to the next area and sniped out the only visible soldier. Then I rushed to the next door only to meet an high-armored juggernaut bash through with a bit of SloMo happening right there. I opened up on him, aiming for his head, but my efforts proved futile as my bullets seemed ineffective and my death was at hand.

So I began from entering the complex and got to the same spot, using a different strategy and lobbing grenades that exploded on impact with it's target, but again I was met with death as the armor protected him from that as well. Next time, I lobbed the grenades and ran back for cover as he was stunned. After taking out his little friend (unarmored, thank God), I focused back on him, shooting all over his body for a weak spot, using my Reflexes for more time before he can shoot at me. Luckily, I found one in his groin. After moving past him, I found a couple of more first aids and a few new weapons, but I could only carry three weapons at a time. I moved through the next few areas (without any armored guys fortunately) and found myself in a little tower lowering down into the depths of the complex through ladders. Where in other FPS games, you can move down the ladder face down with your gun still aiming, F.E.A.R. takes a more believable approach. When you reach a ladder and a hand icon pops up, you hit F and your avatar will take hold of the ladder and your view moves like you're actually getting on it, facing the ladder and not your destination.

Anyway, back to the game. I began going down the ladders one by one, keeping my trigger finger itchy for any possible soldiers. Yet what I found scared me more than even that Armored Soldier did. Going down the last ladder, as I turned to face the ladder, I saw the ghostly Girl from the beginning, her giggles echoing around me as she vanishes in to ash in the air. Thinking that that was all there was I moved down the ladder and turned to meet another phantom, this time a man giving a haunting moan as he too faded to ash. Needless to say, this made me jump and now the soldiers were just a thing of the past. I had something else to fear. I became afraid of the dark as I passed into a hallway and the lights flickered. I turned on my flashlight and quickly hurried to the door. But it slammed shut and I was trapped in darkness. Turning around, I was met with the same girl who was now floating towards me and a light enveloped me.

I found myself in a narrow hall with bloody foot steps leading to the door at the far end. I walked slowly to it, noticing little things that made me even more nervous. "As if I need another reason to lose my mind." After saying that, I looked up and saw the sky bleeding a deep crimson. "Nevermind." Once I reached the door, I tried opening it, only for it to shatter as a painful scream filled the air. I turned around to meet that girl again, laughing at my helplessness as she vanished again, revealing another door. Rushing to it, I was met again with despair as it too broke into piece. The screen went dark and I was back in that same dark room, except the door was now open and I could leave. As I stepped into the next room, I saw a figure walking towardly what looked to be a dead body in a chair before vanishing in a flash of light. I went over to the body and was surprised to see the man barely alive. He murmured something I couldn't understand (too quiet) and then passed on. I looked for a way out and found a garage door open far enough for me to crawl under. I went in, surrounded by darkness again, expecting more specters to mess with me. Then I was reminded with a more fiercesome foe as a "Super Armored" Soldier crashed through the window with cannons blazing.

Once again the screen went dark. To be Continued.

The Following May Contain Themes that would taint your little mind into questioning your life and beliefs and possibly causing you to jump off a cliff... you poor hopeless sap.

Last edited by Gemakai; 08-06-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Gemakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Kitsune_ai
The love fox

Kitsune_ai is an unknown quantity at this point
woah....sounds awesome

Member of: Itachi FC//Temari FC

Khari is my poke partner I own him
Kakashi5/Tsukoymi/Keno : my loves, my homies, my fans
Hellraizer & Rhole:Kewl, old friends

list of cool people:
tada!!

Sakatsu
Rhole
Khari
Tsukoymi
Kakashi5
Shino
HellRaizer
Jagen_san
NelsonKong
Swtvi3tboi8
6_NaRuTo_6
Satoshi
ImpluseSeed
Palmereap
the fat alchemist
Shikamaru

Kitsune_ai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

Holy crap! Someone actually tookt he time to read this? XD Just kidding. Yea, it is awesome but like I said, it had it's hard moments.

The Following May Contain Themes that would taint your little mind into questioning your life and beliefs and possibly causing you to jump off a cliff... you poor hopeless sap.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Demonhacker
Gyokunyo

Demonhacker is infamous around these partsDemonhacker is infamous around these partsDemonhacker is infamous around these partsDemonhacker is infamous around these partsDemonhacker is infamous around these partsDemonhacker is infamous around these partsDemonhacker is infamous around these parts
I played the same demo....It was awesome....For some reason it didnt have the feel of other FPS games....It felt different....

Im the guy you see pass by you on the street. Im the one you ignore everyday. Im not heroic or extrodinary. Im neither very smart nor am I stupid, but I have needs.I have been here longer than most have. I am a veteran around these parts, but attention is not granted to me. I am ignored, and thats how I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeds
So I was thinking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino
I hope you didnt hurt yourself.
Demonhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

I know what you mean, but I think it's a good thing. It's almost like the first Matrix mixed with The Ring in a first person perspective

Old 08-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,817 Times in 3,843 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

I so want to try this game, it looks awesome. Another game I would like to try when a demo comes out is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. I actually wrote a little preview for STALKER as part of an English project a few months ago in school. I'll post again after trying F.E.A.R.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Gemakai
Shiny Dark Knight

Try looking around fileplanet.com or there's a ad for the demo at Penny-Arcade.