48÷2(9+3) = D'awww - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums



Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
manta
No Leaf Clover
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tropic
Age: 27
Posts: 407
Thanks: 1,013
Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

You first do 9+3=12 then multiply it by 2=24 then divide 48/24=[2].


Reading more into it, it should've been more like:
48(12)
2
__________________


Last edited by manta; 04-08-2011 at 09:39 AM.
manta is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #17
Nerox
Mah'alleinir
 
Nerox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Golden Hall
Posts: 743
Thanks: 2,252
Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Really, a discussion with animefan again?
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
Jaxon (04-08-2011), kael03 (04-08-2011), Mal (04-08-2011), Vengeance (04-12-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Numinous
Writing speed: snail
 
Numinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Porto, Portugal
Posts: 4,783
Thanks: 8,386
Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
actually thats not how math works, it would be (2/3)*4
That's because you are inclined for it to be (2/3)*4. The fact is, without the appropriate annotations, the equation that I presented is ambiguous, so (2/3)*4 and 2/(3*4) have the same weight in the validity of the answer.

Quote:
you do what ever is in the parentheses and then add them both. nothing really to think about here.
I just presented a simple example. But if you don't trust me on this interchangeability, just look at wikipedia:

Quote:
Mnemonics are often used to help students remember the rules, but the rules taught by the use of acronyms can be misleading. In the United States, the acronym PEMDAS or "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" is common. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. In other English speaking countries, Parentheses may be called Brackets, or symbols of inclusion and Exponentiation may be called either Indices, Powers or Orders, and since multiplication and division are of equal precedence, M and D are often interchanged, leading to such acronyms as BEDMAS, BIDMAS, BIMDAS, BODMAS, BOMDAS, BERDMAS, PERDMAS, and BPODMAS.
So doing the multiplication or the division first shouldn't be a problem, since they are of equal importance and everybody should come up with the same answer since they (should) follow the same rules. But 2 and 288 have the same validity as answers to your equation, which shouldn't happen if the equation wasn't faulty in the first place.

Quote:
Really, a discussion with animefan again?
And about "intelligence", no less. It's a pattern!
__________________
My writings and ramblings:

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3








Last edited by Numinous; 04-08-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
manta
No Leaf Clover
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tropic
Age: 27
Posts: 407
Thanks: 1,013
Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
Really, a discussion with animefan again?
Yep, really sounds like something he got from /b/

EDIT: Yep, he did.
__________________

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
AniMeFaN
Chuunin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 717
Thanks: 103
Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
That's because you are inclined for it to be (2/3)*4. The fact is, without the appropriate annotations, the equation that I presented is ambiguous, so (2/3)*4 and 2/(3*4) have the same weight in the validity of the answer. !
im not inclined to say its (2/3)*4, that is how you read the equation, multiplication and division are equal so you do the equation from left to right in a situation with both. its order of operations.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
But 2 and 288 have the same validity as answers to your equation, which shouldn't happen if the equation wasn't faulty in the first place.!
how is the equation faulty, its an equation. there has to be a definitive school of thought and consensus on this but the equation isnt faulty. most people actuayll accept the answer as 2.

"The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations"
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

The way I was taught, when you use the division sign, it is the same as saying:

48/2(9+3)

Everything after it is in the denominator. Therefore, the answer is:

= 48/2*12
= 48/24
= 2

If you go after a different answer, you are relying on a different definition of that sign. But for me, because it resembles a fraction with a dot above and a dot below, it is the separating marker for the equation.
__________________
I've become
A simple souvenir of someone's kill
And like the sea
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #22
Numinous
Writing speed: snail
 
Numinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Porto, Portugal
Posts: 4,783
Thanks: 8,386
Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
im not inclined to say its (2/3)*4, that is how you read the equation, multiplication and division are equal so you do the equation from left to right in a situation with both. its order of operations.
Except that's how YOU read the equation. For me, since both operations have the same weight, the lack of proper annotation makes both (2/3)*4 and 2/(3*4) have the same validity. There's a reason for brackets in math, and this is it: to indicate which is the pivotal operation.

Quote:
how is the equation faulty, its an equation.
But it lacks proper annotation! Nobody is saying the equation is nonsensical, I'm only saying that it'll lead to ambiguity, which already has: you say 2, kluang says 288. And both of you solved the equation with equally valid processes. Now tell me how that happens if it isn't faulty?

Quote:
there has to be a definitive school of thought and consensus on this
It's called using brackets. Give it a try sometime.

Quote:
but the equation isnt faulty. most people actuayll accept the answer as 2.
So it was 500 in 1000, now is most people? Make up your mind, will you?

Quote:
"The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations"
@ bolded: consensus=/= rule. I know of people that use juxtaposition for exponential. I don't do that, since most quimiobiophysic equations use the consensus you referenced, but since politeness is never enough, use "x" or "*" to indicate the multiplication.

But you said:
Quote:
that is how you read the equation, multiplication and division are equal so you do the equation from left to right in a situation with both
So is 48/2=24=>24*(9+3)=>24*12=288

But, like ACt said, if you consider the ÷ as a separation of fraction, it's 48/(2*(9+3))=48/(2*12)=48/24=2

See? You just backed up both claims, which shouldn't happen in a proper equation.
__________________
My writings and ramblings:

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3








Last edited by Numinous; 04-08-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
kael03 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
AniMeFaN
Chuunin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 717
Thanks: 103
Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Except that's how YOU read the equation. For me, since both operations have the same weight, the lack of proper annotation makes both (2/3)*4 and 2/(3*4) have the same validity. There's a reason for brackets in math, and this is it: to indicate which is the pivotal operation..
yes that is how I read it, which is the correct way. you do it from left to right with equal operations, that is the correct way whether YOU do it or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
But it lacks proper annotation! Nobody is saying the equation is nonsensical, I'm only saying that it'll lead to ambiguity, which already has: you say 2, kluang says 288. And both of you solved the equation with equally valid processes. Now tell me how that happens if it isn't faulty? ..
that happens when not everyone go's along with the consensus and sovles it a differnet way, doesnt mean its faulty.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
But, like ACt said, if you consider the ÷ as a separation of fraction, it's 48/(2*(9+3))=48/(2*12)=48/24=2

See? You just backed up both claims, which shouldn't happen in a proper equation.
well act is wrong because / doesnt meant seperation of a fraction, it means to divide. if the equation was written 48 / 2 x (9+3) he would still get 2 and it would be 288
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Numinous
Writing speed: snail
 
Numinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Porto, Portugal
Posts: 4,783
Thanks: 8,386
Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
yes that is how I read it, which is the correct way. you do it from left to right with equal operations, that is the correct way whether YOU do it or not
Except it can lead to false results depending on the how the problem is presented, because I guarantee you that there are pairs OF situations that can be written down with the same operations in the same sequence, but one operation will have priority in one situation compared to the other, which might have another operation with priority, therefore brackets are needed to indicate what is that pivotal operation.

Sue me if you think I'm obsessed with brackets, but I think they are essential for the understanding of equations that have operations with the same weight in the same "level" of the equation (I don't know the correct term in English, but when I mean "level", I mean how they are inside or outside certain brackets).

Quote:
that happens when not everyone go's along with the consensus and solves it a different way, doesn't mean its faulty.
I just showed how I went along with an aspect of the consensus and got 288 and ACt went with another and got 2. They have the same validity because they were solved with the consensus. The problem is the equation's for not having enough annotation.

Quote:
well act is wrong because / doesnt meant seperation of a fraction
Yes, it does. Numerator/denominator is the consensus for fractions, so he indeed went with the separation and got 2. It just happens to ALSO mean division in mathematics.

Quote:
if the equation was written 48 / 2 x (9+3) he would still get 2 and it would be 288
You just proved how faulty this equation is: you even contradict yourself.

Quote:
so whats your answer? i lean towards 2
Quote:
what symbol would you use for division? this /? doesnt change anything
So you say you think it's 2, say that ÷ is the same as /, but when someone (like ACt) uses it as fraction, you say the correct answer would be 288.

THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN WITH EQUATIONS THAT AREN'T FAULTY!
__________________
My writings and ramblings:

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3








Last edited by Numinous; 04-08-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
kael03 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
AniMeFaN
Chuunin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 717
Thanks: 103
Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

im not responding to your whole post because i jsut dont care enough to. order of operations says you go left to right with equal operations. you are wrong to look at it another way. i did not prove anything faulty. a division sign does not mean to set it up as a fraction. if it was 48 /( 2 x (9+3)) then you could set it up as the denominator but since its set up 48 / 2 x (9+3) its
step 1. 48 / 2 x (12)
step 2. 24 x (12)
step 3. 288

Last edited by AniMeFaN; 04-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #26
Numinous
Writing speed: snail
 
Numinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Porto, Portugal
Posts: 4,783
Thanks: 8,386
Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
i did not prove anything faulty. a division sign does not mean to set it up as a fraction.
But it means it CAN be set up as a fraction, it just doesn't mean that's always the case.

Quote:
if it was 48 /( 2 x (9+3)) then you could set it up as the denominator but since its set up 48 / 2 x (9+3) its
step 1. 48 / 2 x (12)
step 2. 24 x (12)
step 3. 288
First, you didn't treat it as 48/2*(9+3), you treated it as (48/2)*(9+3). See how brackets make a difference? Second, you have no proof it isn't to be treated as a fraction, since THE ANNOTATION THAT WOULD CLARIFY IF IT'S A DIVISION OR A FRACTION IS ABSENT. Therefore it's faulty!

Will you stop treating faulty stuff as functional?


Edit: Oh, and you changed your mind about the result? Was it because you didn't think at first or the equation is ambiguous enough for you to change sides?
__________________
My writings and ramblings:

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3







Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
kael03 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
AniMeFaN
Chuunin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 717
Thanks: 103
Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
But it means it CAN be set up as a fraction, it just doesn't mean that's always the case.
it doesnt mean you can set it up as a fraction, if you arent dividing by the rest of the equation you cant take the whole thing and treat it as you are by setting it up as a fraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
First, you didn't treat it as 48/2*(9+3), you treated it as (48/2)*(9+3). See how brackets make a difference? Second, you have no proof it isn't to be treated as a fraction, since THE ANNOTATION THAT WOULD CLARIFY IF IT'S A DIVISION OR A FRACTION IS ABSENT. Therefore it's faulty! .
what dont you understand about order of operations, 48/2*(9+3) is suppose to be treated as (48/2) x (9+3). that is the order of operations, you solve in the bracket, the you go from left to right.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Edit: Oh, and you changed your mind about the result? Was it because you didn't think at first or the equation is ambiguous enough for you to change sides?
i did not change my mind once.
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #28
Numinous
Writing speed: snail
 
Numinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Porto, Portugal
Posts: 4,783
Thanks: 8,386
Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMeFaN View Post
it doesnt mean you can set it up as a fraction, if you arent dividing by the rest of the equation you cant take the whole thing and treat it as you are by setting it up as a fraction.
But the equation you showed doesn't reveal that because there's mathematical symbols missing for it to show exactly what you said.

Quote:
what dont you understand about order of operations, 48/2*(9+3) is suppose to be treated as (48/2) x (9+3). that is the order of operations, you solve in the bracket, the you go from left to right.
But since it's valid to treat / or ÷ as an indicator of fraction, what ACt did is also valid in this equation, it just follows a different aspect of the mathematical consensus. I repeat, brackets exist for a reason, it's just not for making the equation look pretty.

Quote:
i did not change my mind once.
O'rly?

Quote:
so whats your answer? i lean towards 2
Quote:
how is the equation faulty, its an equation. there has to be a definitive school of thought and consensus on this but the equation isnt faulty. most people actuayll accept the answer as 2.
Quote:
well act is wrong because / doesnt meant seperation of a fraction, it means to divide. if the equation was written 48 / 2 x (9+3) he would still get 2 and it would be 288
And I rest my case here. I have better things to do than doing a math version of the IQ test explanation that you still don't get.
__________________
My writings and ramblings:

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3







Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
kael03 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #29
AniMeFaN
Chuunin
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 717
Thanks: 103
Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
AniMeFaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
But the equation you showed doesn't reveal that because there's mathematical symbols missing for it to show exactly what you said. .
you have it backwards, what you are trying to do is missing symbols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
But since it's valid to treat / or ÷ as an indicator of fraction, what ACt did is also valid in this equation, it just follows a different aspect of the mathematical consensus. I repeat, brackets exist for a reason, it's just not for making the equation look pretty..
its no valid to unless its one term which its not



"i did not change my mind once. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
O'rly?.

"so whats your answer? i lean towards 2 "


"how is the equation faulty, its an equation. there has to be a definitive school of thought and consensus on this but the equation isnt faulty. most people actuayll accept the answer as 2. "


"well act is wrong because / doesnt meant seperation of a fraction, it means to divide. if the equation was written 48 / 2 x (9+3) he would still get 2 and it would be 288 "



Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
And I rest my case here. I have better things to do than doing a math version of the IQ test explanation that you still don't get.

you dont rest any case you idiot, i already posted this about the juxtaposition, that equation doesnt have it so it would be 288. i have not changed one thing i have said the entire time


"The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations"
AniMeFaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
ACt
Heart Wizard
 
ACt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Halls of Irreverence
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: 48÷2(9+3) = ??

Seriously - are we still discussing after we all agreed it was a vague and poorly arranged math equation that intentionally leads to disagreement?

Also, you completely misinterpreted my definition of "÷", half because you didn't read the word "denominator" and half because when I wrote out my answer, I didn't put in the proper brackets to be completely clear - which is the whole problem.

When I say it separates out the left side into numerator and right side as denominator, I mean 48 is the numerator and 2(9+3) is the denominator or:

48
2(9+3)

Or to be completely clear:

48/(2*(9+3))

Clear? I'm not wrong because it is how I interpret the question based on what I was taught - in like grade 4!. (I think it was also commonly taught in Canada that when given such equations, you would often progress from left to right on even order of operations, such as division and multiplying.) Quit not understanding whether intentional or not.
__________________
I've become
A simple souvenir of someone's kill
And like the sea
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (04-08-2011), manta (04-08-2011), Numinous (04-08-2011), Vengeance (04-12-2011)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.