Humans good or evil? - Page 3 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

View Poll Results: good or evil?
Good 0 0%
Evil 15 34.88%
Neutral 28 65.12%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #31
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all
Quote:
Who exactly are 'These people' and if these people THINK I'm evil, than I'm evil! That's wat I'm saying! How can people not be evil, if everywhere you go everyone else is thinking everything or everyone else is evil! So in the end, there is probably not one person alive that is not doing something something evil in the mind of someone else, tehrefore EVERYONE IS EVIL!
No... Do you personally think you are evil? If yes, then you are in your own mind. There are people who think Hitler wasn't evil and, according them, he isn't. Many people think Hitler IS evil and to them, he is. Nobody can actually BE evil unless YOU PERSONALLY think that person is. If the entire world thought one person was evil, even then, this person would STILL not be evil if a new person was born and thought he/she wasn't evil. Evil, the lack of morality, doesn't exist universally.

You don't understand, LD. I'm talking about universal evil, which is the topic of this thread, whether you realize it or not. You can still define something is evil and so it is, to you. To others, it might not be. Because of this subjectivity, nothing can TRULY be evil. You think humans are evil. Super! Humans are evil... To YOU. Others don't think that way. So they aren't... To them.

You don't even realize it, but you're kinda agreeing with me.

How are other species evil or good? I personally consider murder to be evil and yet, we've got many species that murder. Take infanticide in primates as an example.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #32
corbenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAztek
No... Do you personally think you are evil? If yes, then you are in your own mind. There are people who think Hitler wasn't evil and, according them, he isn't. Many people think Hitler IS evil and to them, he is. Nobody can actually BE evil unless YOU PERSONALLY think that person is. If the entire world thought one person was evil, even then, this person would STILL not be evil if a new person was born and thought he/she wasn't evil. Evil, the lack of morality, doesn't exist universally.

You don't understand, LD. I'm talking about universal evil, which is the topic of this thread, whether you realize it or not. You can still define something is evil and so it is, to you. To others, it might not be. Because of this subjectivity, nothing can TRULY be evil. You think humans are evil. Super! Humans are evil... To YOU. Others don't think that way. So they aren't... To them.

You don't even realize it, but you're kinda agreeing with me.

How are other species evil or good? I personally consider murder to be evil and yet, we've got many species that murder. Take infanticide in primates as an example.

You my friend, are the only intelligent person in this thread. Evil and good are in the eyes of the beholder..... Or are they?

We shall define evil and good

[/QUOTE]Evil: adj. e·vil·er, e·vil·est
Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

Good:
adj. bet·ter, (btr) best (bst)
Being positive or desirable in nature; not bad or poor: a good experience; good news from the hospital.
Having the qualities that are desirable or distinguishing in a particular thing: a good exterior paint; a good joke.
Serving the desired purpose or end; suitable: Is this a good dress for the party?
Not spoiled or ruined: The milk is still good.
In excellent condition; sound: a good tooth.
Superior to the average; satisfactory: a good student.
Used formerly to refer to the U.S. Government grade of meat higher than standard and lower than choice.
Of high quality: good books.
Discriminating: good taste.
Worthy of respect; honorable: ruined the family's good name.
Attractive; handsome: good looks.
Beneficial to health; salutary: a good night's rest.
Competent; skilled: a good machinist.
Complete; thorough: a good workout.
Reliable; sure: a good investment.
Valid or true: a good reason.
Genuine; real: a good dollar bill.
In effect; operative: a warranty good for two years; a driver's license that is still good.
Able to continue in a specified activity: I'm good for another round of golf.
Able to pay or contribute: Is she good for the money that you lent her?
Able to elicit a specified reaction: He is always good for a laugh.
Ample; substantial: a good income.
Bountiful: a good table.
Full: It is a good mile from here.
Pleasant; enjoyable: had a good time at the party.
Propitious; favorable: good weather; a good omen.
Of moral excellence; upright: a good person.
Benevolent; kind: a good soul; a good heart.
Loyal; staunch: a good Republican.
Well-behaved; obedient: a good child.
Socially correct; proper: good manners.
Sports.
Landing within bounds or within a particular area of a court and therefore in play: The first serve was wide, but the second was good.
Passing between the uprights of the goal and therefore scoring, as a field goal in football.
Used to form exclamatory phrases expressing surprise or dismay: Good heavens! Good grief! [/QUOTE]

Got it? Good. Basically, Good is to help and to be untarnished, reliable, pleasant. Evil is hurting another being, undesirable. Angry or spiteful.

Humans, in general, can be pleasant, they help the trees, feed animals, help endangered species, ect...

On the other hand, the species are endangered because of us, we cut down the trees, ect....

Thus, since the race causes the problems, yet tries to fix them, humans are neutral.

That is a litteral way of looking at things, with any living thing, you have to look deeper.

In my opinion humans are no worse than any other animals, we need what we use, some times we use to much, but so do other animals.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #33
LightDreamer
Jounin

LightDreamer is on a distinguished road
Okay you're confusing me here. First you say evil doesn't exist, than you say evil only exists to a personal context, than you say evil doesn't exist universally, and then you say, fine go ahead think what you want.

It's not math! they don't cancel each other out, and even so a positive and a negative make a negative so HA! [and there goes the extent of my knowledge on math]

and I'M saying because of subjectivity everything HAS to be evil. You know what we're doing -.- we're using the same points for opposing debate sides and trying to beat each other with it -.- nowww I feel stupid.

And so, I will go back to my original point. Humans...as a whole...are killing the earth...kinda sad really, but if humans had never existed the earth would be a lot better off. And that is why...humans are evil...because we're slowly killing the earth and everything in it, and we are going to end up choking on our own waste if we do not kill each other before-hand. And I doubt you will find any human who goes 'We're going to die choking on phesies [did I spell that right? ah well you get the point POOP] I can't remember who but someone did an experiment on these animals and I don't remember it very detailedly but they ended up choking on their poop.] Whoopie! [and do NOT assume that there are people out there, if you are so intent on proving me wrong go and find someone to say that truthfully]

How am I agreeing with you, maybe youuuuuu're agreeing with me! How are you superior

P.S who has read the short story The Train from Rhodesia and feels like helping me with an english assigment =D It's actually quite interesting.

--
If you gave me the letters hrt you could give me [ea] to get h[ea]rt or [u] to get h[u]rt, but I'd rather have hurt than a heart without [u]
- GOD I love that. You could give me a hundred thousand million years and I wouldn't have thought of that.

--
All this time I've spent trying to change into someone you would love, I didn't notice you changed into someone I can't love anymore. Goodbye My King .

---

The adulation of strangers.
LightDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #34
corbenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDreamer
Okay you're confusing me here. First you say evil doesn't exist, than you say evil only exists to a personal context, than you say evil doesn't exist universally, and then you say, fine go ahead think what you want.

It's not math! they don't cancel each other out, and even so a positive and a negative make a negative so HA! [and there goes the extent of my knowledge on math]

and I'M saying because of subjectivity everything HAS to be evil. You know what we're doing -.- we're using the same points for opposing debate sides and trying to beat each other with it -.- nowww I feel stupid.

And so, I will go back to my original point. Humans...as a whole...are killing the earth...kinda sad really, but if humans had never existed the earth would be a lot better off. And that is why...humans are evil...because we're slowly killing the earth and everything in it, and we are going to end up choking on our own waste if we do not kill each other before-hand. And I doubt you will find any human who goes 'We're going to die choking on phesies [did I spell that right? ah well you get the point POOP] I can't remember who but someone did an experiment on these animals and I don't remember it very detailedly but they ended up choking on their poop.] Whoopie! [and do NOT assume that there are people out there, if you are so intent on proving me wrong go and find someone to say that truthfully]

How am I agreeing with you, maybe youuuuuu're agreeing with me! How are you superior

P.S who has read the short story The Train from Rhodesia and feels like helping me with an english assigment =D It's actually quite interesting.
Have you ever heard of addition? Hell, even subtraction?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:52 PM   #35
LightDreamer
Jounin

I can't tell if you're making a point towards this topic or making fun of the fact I have no math skills -___-;

Mmkay if you're making a point towards the debate and lets say you're going with addition. Than you aren't making a very good point, because then you could say when you add up all the people who think these other people are evil and add up all the people who think these other. Then it just depends on the majority that decides whether or not a person is evil? That's sorta unfair...but okay...

Or if you're making fun of my math skills -____-; than...I really could care less...I suck in math, i got over it can you?

--
If you gave me the letters hrt you could give me [ea] to get h[ea]rt or [u] to get h[u]rt, but I'd rather have hurt than a heart without [u]
- GOD I love that. You could give me a hundred thousand million years and I wouldn't have thought of that.

--
All this time I've spent trying to change into someone you would love, I didn't notice you changed into someone I can't love anymore. Goodbye My King .

---

Old 10-10-2005, 10:43 PM   #36
corbenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDreamer
Or if you're making fun of my math skills -____-; than...I really could care less...I suck in math, i got over it can you?
I highly doubt it. the fact that you are not especially good at math will be very hard for me to get over.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #37
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all
Quote:
We shall define evil and good
And there is your mistake. Evil and good are defined by the beholder. You may find humans to be bad or evil because they deforest the land and kill off other animals for their own gains. Others may not find that evil, but survival of the fittest.

LD, evil DOESN'T exist on the scale that you think of. There is no inherent good or evil. There is no inherent morality. There is no universal evil or good. See? I may have said it poorly before, but I think I am doing a pretty good job at explaining it now.

Is killing the Earth evil? Some may not think so. So it isn't... To them.

How is it that you're agreeing with me and not me agreeing with you? Because I said it first and you said it was wrong, but then backed up your opinion by backing me up.

It isn't math. It is logic. If I consider homosexuality to be the ultimate form of evil and you don't, is it evil? No. And yes. It is evil to me but not to you. It is subjective. Because everything in existance is morally subjective, then it cannot be universal.

Yar... It is hard to explain. What is the sound of one hand clapping? Anything you do defines everything you do. Wakka wakka doo doo, yeah. I honestly cannot say it any more clearly than I already have. If you don't get it now, then hopefully it will all click eventually.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Old 10-10-2005, 11:25 PM   #38
ichinii30
The Existing

ichinii30 is an unknown quantity at this point
both, always both
ichinii30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:50 PM   #39
LightDreamer
Jounin

Quote:
I highly doubt it. the fact that you are not especially good at math will be very hard for me to get over.
Uhh okay...but keep it to yourself.

---

How is it survival of the fittest if everyone dies? WHo wins then? How can you being fit save you from the world dying, and all it's resources going down the drain?

If people think the killing the earth isn't evil, they obviously have something against humans and want us to die, therefore they probably think humans are evil. =D

The sound of one hand clapping is very easy, quite simple really [ever watch simpsons?] just close your fingers over your palm really quickly, repeat, that's the sound of one hand clapping. =]

If you think homsexuality is evil, and I think it isn't. And you think I am evil, and I think you are evil. In some sick way we are both evil. [and THAT is the point I'm trying to get accross] We cannot 'cancel' each other out.

I get what you're trying to say...I just don't agree with it =T I like being allowed to think other people are evil. Because quite frankly it makes me feel better. And everything I say is ALWAYS right LMAO kidding...I know >_> I'm amazingly funny...I think I am evil, because I've said and done things I probably shouldn't have, and of everyone I know, everyone has done or said something evil. S...

AHHHH RACCOON OUTSIDE MY WINDOW O_________O it's so cute...^^;

Lost track of what i was saying...o____O Anywho, by being able to believe that what a person does is evil, I am giving myself the ability to keep myself having a strong sense of moral right. Because if oneday I might actually decide oh hey...nobody is evil because somewhere out tehre somebody doesn't think that's evil, then I'll think nobody is evil, and then I'll have no free will...and that scares me...because I like to have my own sense of right and wrong.

I'm really just babbling now aren't i =T yes I am...

I'll just finish this up with umm. If people didn't know what was good and what was evil, than we would have a lot more killing and raping and all that other stuff. Because more people will think it's okay, because somewhere out there other people don't think it's evil. People don't necessarily not do things just because they'd get in trouble with the law, people do it because they were told from birth [hopefully] what is right and wrong. I mean even if it wasn't illeagle to rape woman, people still aren't gonna jump on random women. I mean sure there'd probably be a lot more rapings, but not everyone would...because they have the moral sensability of wat is a good thing to do...and what is an evil thing to do.

And that is why if we didn't have an 'evil' then we'd be lost and probably dead, and scared and a bunch 'a other stuffs.

Wow did that make any sense at all ._. I have used up all my logic on my piles of assigments thank you very much =D This is totally off topic, but did you know, that if I'm smart for a really long time, I end up being stupid there after. Like if I state something smart, or do something smart, afterwards I become a dumbass, and can't spell words right =] JUST THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW!! ^O^ I really have no sense of privacy =T I'd tell anyone everything xD AHAHAHAHA *cough* ._. nobodies gonna be my friend anymore are they ._.

Edit:

CONSCIENCE that's what it is. Conscience is what makes us help old ladies accross the streets, and what keeps us from killing others =T hopefully. Then conscience differs...don't really...yah..

--

--

---

Old 10-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #40
Roy Mustang
Zero Alchemist

Roy Mustang can only hope to improve
sheesh what a cheezy topic what are ya? some anime character..well anywayz humans are basically neautral they commit both but i say humans are 60% evil since we get tempted to do the evil shit instead of being tempted to do good stuff...
Roy Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:04 AM   #41
Mozetsu
Genin

Mozetsu is an unknown quantity at this point
i voted neutral

i dont think humans are either good or evil.it is which perspective they think from, and also from which perspective people choose to view them from.

take for example..Einstein
you could praise and worship him for being the guy who came up with E=MCsquared

or you could see him as the evil guy who paved the way to the first atom bomb.

meh. no time for new sigs atm
Mozetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:05 AM   #42
DarkAztek
Sand Man

Quite simply, LD, you don't understand what I'm talking about. I cannot make it clearer. You ARE allowed to think others are evil... But they aren't really evil in the grand scheme of things. That person might not think he/she is evil and so he/she is not in HIS/HER eyes.

It is survival of the fittest if all the humans kill and deforest the animals and land because the animals cannot fight back and therefore are not as fit as we are. We are dominant and we can and shall do as we please. Why should the weaker creatures have any part with what we require?

As for getting away with things... Look up your Seligman and your other psychology. I'm not going to write the shitloads about that to prove myself right. You really are going to have to just trust me on that one.

Quote:
And that is why if we didn't have an 'evil' then we'd be lost and probably dead, and scared and a bunch 'a other stuffs.
I don't really understand what you're saying... But your conscience is your super ego in psych terms. It is the opposite of your id. But again, that doesn't prove or disprove it because some people honestly believe certain things... For example, neo-nazis REALLY believe that it would be okay to kill Jews. To them, that is not evil. To other people, it is.

You cannot prove objective morality. Any philosophy teacher will tell you that.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #43
Slider
Academy Student

Slider is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe that at the core, humans are good. But I think this world has somehow twisted our minds/souls.
If all external influences could be removed and societal rules too, I wonder which way the majority would lean. Humans are complex, we have this 'animalistic instinct' that urges us to eat, sleep, breed or do whatever we need to do. So in a land of plenty, we may all get along fine. In a land of famine, we might kill each other for food.
So are we good, evil, or animals?
Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:33 AM   #44
LightDreamer
Jounin

and you don't find 'doing as we please' to benefit ourselves and kill everything else, NOT evil?

Mmkay so this is an opinion debate, and we're pretty much trying to tell point out whether or not each other is wrong or not, but now you're telling me, go ahead think what you want. -_- Then what was the point of you posting? What was the point of me posting?

i understand what you're saying! You're saying because there is no universal definition of evil, and that as long as other people think something is not evil, than they or it cannot be evil, because other people disagree with it!

I don't htink you're understanding what I'm saying! I'm saying that there is no definite definition of evil, butiwithin us there is a definition of evil. ANd as long as people can call other people evil, than evil must exist. THerefore, if anyone anywhere thinks another person is evil, that person will be evil, and the evil person is bound to think another person is evil, and that evil person the evil person thought was evil is bound to find other people evil. And in this giant circle of who is and who isn't evil. EVeyone SHALL end up with SOMEONE calling them evil, so in the end EVERYONE is evil! ANd in the end EVERY HUMAN BEING ON THE FACE OF THIS PLANET IS EVIL TO 1 OR MORE PEOPLE. Thus proving, Humans are EVIL.

Any philosophy teacher can also tell you, that in the human psychi we think freely, and no one can control what we think, compared to other species of animals that don't think to as a wide extent as us, therefore humans are pretty much the only species alive that can think that another species of their kind is evil, and that's what makes us evil.

Everyone on earth can agree on one thing and that is they think that another person is evil.

--

--

---

Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM   #45
DarkAztek
Sand Man

Well... It is an opinion debate only to a certain extent. It really IS impossible to prove objective morality to be correct. It hasn't been done. (Trust me, I've taken a whole course on morality when I was in college.) But it is just like any debate... You believe what you want to. As you've seen in the gay marriage thread here, we may have proven anti-gay marriage people completely and entirely wrong, but they still hold that opinion.

May I ask you what the definition of evil is? According to Dictionary.com, evil is:

Quote:
Morally bad or wrong; wicked: an evil tyrant.
Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful: the evil effects of a poor diet.
Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous: evil omens.
Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous: an evil reputation.
Characterized by anger or spite; malicious: an evil temper.

n.
The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction: a leader's power to do both good and evil.
An evil force, power, or personification.
Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction: the social evils of poverty and injustice
Well what is morally wrong? What is wicked? And I know a number of people that would disagree that causing pain is not evil... At least, not to them. Everything that defines what evil is can be changed. I believe that pooping is harmful and we should all just constantly have surgery and remove our feces right from our large intenstine. You don't think pooping is that. Pooping is not evil to you. It is not wicked to you. Etc.

I get what you're saying though... It's not right, but I understand it. You think that just because one person thinks someone or something is evil, it therefore is? So then everything in the entire universe is likely to be evil? The only way that one thing could not be evil would be for every human being that is alive and ever will be alive to consider it good? Hogwash.

I personally consider flushing after you pee to be good. Some person may think that it is wrong, for it is a waste of water. Well it is sanitary, dammit! (Sorry, heh, a little pet peeve.) Therefore, it is not evil... In MY eyes. I don't think that humans, as a species, are evil. Therefore, to me, they are not evil. To you, they might be. But because you are NOT me, then they are not (to me). (That is putting my idea in its most simple form.)

As for your humans vs animals thing, you're assuming correlation without causation. (I'm a psych minor, my man.) People CAN control what others think. It is relatively easy. Also, even if humans can consider another species to be evil, that doesn't mean that the species IS evil. Again, it is all about perspective. Thinking something is evil does not make us evil. It is recognition. And what can every person on earth agree to? Name it and I'll prove you wrong.